Evaluation of a serological test for diagnosis ofHelicobacter pylori infection in children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A serological test for the diagnosis ofHelicobacter pylori infection (Cobas Core Roche, IgG, 2nd Generation; Roche, France) was compared with the examination of biopsy samples (culture and histology) obtained after endoscopy in 115 children to assess its value. In 94 children (42 positive and 52 negative), results were concordant. In 10 children a positive serological test was associated with an absence ofHelicobacter pylori, while in 11 others a negative serological test was associated with a positive culture. Sensitivity of the test was 79.2% and specificity 83.9%. A relationship between IgG titers and age (r=0.31, p<0.05) was found. Serological tests could be useful for the diagnosis ofHelicobacter pylori infection, but a negative test result does not rule out infection, particularly in children under 10 years of age.
- Andersen LP, Newer AV, Christianesen KM, Tvede H, Hansen J, Henriksen FW, Krasilnikoff PA: The humoral immune response toHelicobacter pylori infection in children with recurrent abdominal pain. Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica, and Immunologica Scandinavica 1994, 102: 457–464.
- Raymond J, Bergeret M, Benhamou PH, Mensah K, Dupont C: Evaluation of two years ofHelicobacter pylori research in children. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1994, 32: 461–463.
- Benhamou PH, Kalach N, Raymond J, Abdallah C, Dupont C: Infections gastriques àHelicobacter pylori chez l'enfant. Presse Médicale 1994, 23: 1703–1707.
- Czinn SJ, Carr HS, Speck WT: Diagnosis of gastritis caused byHelicobacter pylori in children by means of an ELISA. Reviews of Infectious Diseases 1991, 13: 700–703.
- Mégraud F: Méthodes diagnostiques directes et indirectes deHelicobacter pylori. Gastroentérologie Clinique et Biologique 1994, 18: 217–226.
- Crabtree JE, Mahony MJ, Taylor DJ, Heatley RV, Littlewood JM, Tompkins DS: Immune responses toHelicobacter pylori in children with recurrent abdominal pain. Journal of Clinical Pathology 1991, 44: 768–771.
- Thomas JE, Whatmore AM, Barer MR, Eastman EJ, Kehoe MA: Serodiagnosis ofHelicobacter pylori infection in childhood. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1990, 28: 2641–2646.
- Westblom TU, Madan E, Gudipati S, Midkiff BR, Czinn SJ: Diagnosis ofHelicobacter pylori infection in adult and pediatric patients by using Pyloriset, a rapid latex agglutination test. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1992, 30: 96–98.
- Blecker U, Lanciers S, Hauser B, Vandenplas Y: Diagnosis ofHelicobacter pylori infection in adults and children by using the MalakitHelicobacter pylori, a commercially available enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1993, 16: 1770–1773.
- Morris AJ, Ali MR, Nicholson GI, Perez-Perez Gl, Blaser MJ: Long-term follow-up of voluntary ingestion ofHelicobacter pylori. Annals of Internal Medicine 1991, 114: 662–663.
- Evaluation of a serological test for diagnosis ofHelicobacter pylori infection in children
European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Volume 15, Issue 5 , pp 415-417
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Microbiology, Hôpital Saint Vincent de Paul, 82 avenue Denfert Rochereau, 75674, Paris Cedex 14, France
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, Hôpital Saint Vincent de Paul, 82 avenue Denfert Rochereau, 75674, Paris Cedex 14, France
- 3. Department of Pathology, Hôpital Saint Vincent de Paul, 82 avenue Denfert Rochereau, 75674, Paris Cedex 14, France