Relativization of questions about log space computability
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A notion of log space Turing reducibility is introduced. It is used to define relative notions of log space,ℒ A , and nondeterministic log space, . These classes are compared with the classes and which were originally defined by Baker, Gill, and Solovay [BGS]. It is shown that there exists a computable setA such that . Furthermore, there exists a computable setA such that and . Also a notion of log space truth table reducibility is defined and shown to be equivalent to the notion of log space Turing reducibility.
- T. Baker, J. Gill, andR. Solovay, Relativizations of the question. To appear inSIAM Journal on Computing.
- S. A. Cook, Characterizations of pushdown machines in terms of time-bounded computers,Journal of the ACM,18 (1971) 4–18.
- S. A. Cook, The complexity of theorem proving procedures,Proc. Third Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, 1971 pp. 151–158.
- S. A. Cook, An observation on time-storage trade off,Proc. of Fifth Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, 1973 pp. 29–33.
- J. Hartmanis, On nondeterminacy of simple computing devices,Acta Informatica,1 (1972) 336–344.
- J. E. Hopcroft andJ. D. Ullman, Nonerasing stack automata,Journal of Computer and System Sciences,1 (1967) 166–186.
- J. E. Hopcroft andJ. D. Ullman,Formal Languages and Their Relation to Automata, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Ma. 1969.
- P. Hsia andR. Yeh, Finite automata with marks, inAutomata, Languages and Programming, M. Nivat, editor, American Elsevier, New York 1973.
- N. D. Jones, Space-bounded reducibility among combinatorial problems,Journal of Computer and System Sciences,11 (1975) 68–85.
- N. D. Jones andW. T. Laaser, Complete problems for deterministic polynomial time,Proc. of Sixth Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 40–46 1974.
- R. M. Karp, Reducibility among combinatorial problems, inComplexity of Computer Computations, R. Miller and J. Thatcher, editors, Plenum Press, New York 1972.
- R. E. Ladner, On the structure of polynomial time reducibility,Journal of the ACM,22 (1975) 155–171.
- R. E. Ladner, The circuit value problem is log space complete for ,SIGACT News,7 (1975) 18–20.
- R. E. Ladner, N. A. Lynch, andA. L. Selman, A comparison of polynomial time reducibilities. To appear inTheoretical Computer Science.
- N. A. Lynch, Log space recognition and translation of parenthesis languages, manuscript.
- N. A. Lynch, Log space machines with multiple oracle tapes, manuscript.
- A. R. Meyer, private communication.
- W. J. Savitch, Relationship between nondeterministic and deterministic tape complexities,Journal of Computer and System Sciences,4 (1970) 177–192.
- Simon, Istvan. Private communication (Ph.D. Thesis in preparation, Stanford).
- R. E. Stearns, J. Hartmanis, andP. M. Lewis II, Hierarchies of memory limited computations,IEEE Conf. Record on Switching Circuit Theory and Logical Design, (1965) 191–202
- L. Stockmeyer andA. R. Meyer, Word problems requiring exponential timeProc. of Fifth Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, (1973) pp. 1–9.
- I. H. Sudborough, On tape-bounded complexity classes and multihead automata,Journal of Computer and System Sciences, Vol,10 (1975) 62–76.
- Relativization of questions about log space computability
Mathematical systems theory
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 19-32
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors