Immunocytochemical study of the hepatic innervation in the rat after partial hepatectomy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The autonomic nervous system in rats has been assessed by means of indirect immunofluorescence using monospecific antibodies to neuron-specific enolase, neurofilaments, glial fibrillary acidic protein and S-100 protein (10 days after partial (70%) hepatectomy). Different groups of rats were studied:
group A: 70% resection and normal dual blood supply (n=5);
group B: 70% resection with only portal blood to the liver remnant (n=5);
group C: 70% resection with only arterial blood to the liver remnant (n=5);
group D: sham operated controls (n=5).
All rats of groups A and D showed normal liver/body weight ratios after 10 days in contrast to groups B and C where liver weights were 50–60% of the preresection weight. In group A the regeneration process was histologically normal and associated with a remarkable increase of autonomic innervation patterns in the portal triad. In contrast, livers of animals in groups B and C showed under the light microscope features of hepatocyte degeneration associated with a decreased autonomic innervation compared to the controls. The changes are identical in groups B and C, and are therefore irrespective of the type of blood deprivation (arterial or portal).
These results support the importance of dual blood supply for an optimal regenerative response in liver remnants after liver resection. We suggest that the autonomic nerve supply of the portal triad plays at least an important permissive role in liver regeneration.
- ASHRIF, S., GILLESPIE, J. S. & POLLOCK, D. (1974) The effects of drugs or denervation on thymidine uptake into rat regenerating liver.Eur. J. Pharmacol. 29, 324–7.
- BENGMARK, S., HAFSTRÖM, L. O. & LOUGHRIDGE, B. (1969) Studies of the influence of hepatic artery ligation on liver regeneration in partially hepatectomized rats.Acta Hepato Splenologica 16, 349–55.
- BISHOP, A. E., POLAK, J. M., BLOOM, S. R. & PEARSE, A. G. E. (1978) A new universal for the immunocytochemical localisation of peptidergic innervation.J. Endocrinol. 77, 25–6.
- BISHOP, A. E., CARLEI, F., LEE, V., TROJANOWSKI, J., MARANGOS, P. J., DAHL, D. & POLAK, J. M. (1985) Combined immunostaining of neurofilaments, neuron specific enolase, GFAP and S-100. A possible means for assessing the morphological and functional status of the enteric nervous system.Histochemistry 82, 93–7.
- HUANG, W. M., GIBSON, S. J., FACER, P., GU, J. & POLAK, J. M. (1983) Improved section adhesion for immunocytochemistry using high molecular weight polymers ofl-lysine as a sliding coating.Histochemistry 77, 275–9.
- KARRAN, S. & MCLAREN, M. (1985) Physical aspects of hepatic regeneration. InLiver and Biliary Disease (edited by WRIGHT, R., MILLWARD-SADLER, G. H. and ALBERTI, K. G. M. M.) pp. 233–50. London, Philadelphia, Toronto: Baillière Tindall, W. B. Saunders Co.
- KATO, H. & SHIMAZU, T. (1983) Effect of autonomic denervation on DNA synthesis during liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy.Eur. J. Biochem. 134, 473–8.
- LABRECQUE, D. (1985) Liver regeneration, inLiver Update (February 1985) (edited by KIRSCH, R. E., KRUSKAL, J. B., CSOMOS, G. and TERBLANCHE, J.) pp. 108–31. London, Philadelphia, Toronto: Baillière Tindall.
- LEE, S. H. & FISHER, B. (1960) Portocaval shunt in the rat.Surgery 50, 663–72.
- MARANGOS, P. J. & POLAK, J. M. (1982) Neuron-specific enolase, a probe for peptide secreting cells of the diffuse neuroendocrine system. InThe Systemic Role of Regulatory Peptides (edited by BLOOM, S. R., POLAK, J. M. and LINDENLAUB, E.) pp. 447–63. Stuttgart: Symposia Medica Hoechst, FK Schattauer Verlag.
- MORLEY, C. G. D. & ROYSE, V. L. (1981) Adrenergic agents as possible regulators of liver regeneration.Int. J. Biochem. 13, 969–74.
- NAKATA, R., TSUKAMOTO, I., NANME, M., MAKINO, S., MIYOSHI, M. & KOJO, S. (1985) α-adrenergic regulation of the activity of thymidilate synthetase and thymidine kinase during liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy.Eur. J. Pharmacol. 114, 355–60.
- OSBORNE, M. & WEBER, K. (1983) Tumour diagnosis by intermediate filament typing: a novel tool for surgical pathology.Lab. Invest. 48, 372–94.
- WAYNFORTH, H. B. (1980)Experimental and Surgical Technique in the rat, pp. 137–9. London, New York: Academic Press.
- WHITTEMORE, A. D., KASUYA, M., VOORHEES, A. B. & PRICE, J. B. (1975) Hepatic regeneration in the absence of portal viscera.Surgery 7, 419–26.
- Immunocytochemical study of the hepatic innervation in the rat after partial hepatectomy
The Histochemical Journal
Volume 19, Issue 6-7 , pp 327-332
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 2nd Department of Surgery, University of Rome, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 2. Department of Experimental Internal Medicine, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 3. Department of Surgery, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands