Improvement in the staining and in the visualization of the argyrophilic proteins of the nucleolar organizer region at the optical level
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The argyrophilic proteins of the nucleolar organizer region (Ag-NOR proteins) were specifically localized at the optical level with a modified one-step silver technique performed at 20° C.
This method was applied to various materials including cells in smears, chromosomes, semi-thin sections of plastic-embedded cells and sections of paraffin-embedded human pathological tissues.
In order to improve the visualization of the silver deposits we tested various modes of imaging, including bright-field, Nomarski contrast, reflected light and combined Nomarski contrast with reflected light. The use of Nomarski contrast is useful to define precisely the phases of mitosis. The use of reflected light, which is based on the ability of silver to reflect incident light specifically, gives images with an improved resolution compared to bright-field.
- ANGELIER, N., HERNANDEZ-VERDUN, D. & BOUTEILLE, M. (1982) Visualization of Ag-NOR proteins on nucleolar transcriptional units in molecular spreads.Chromosoma 86, 661–72.
- BUSCH, H., LISCHWE, M. A., MICHALIK, J., CHAN, P. K. & BUSCH, R. K. (1982) Nucleolar proteins of special interest: silver staining proteins B23 and C23 and antigens of human tumour nucleoli. InThe Nucleolus (edited by JORDAN, E. G. and CULLIS, C. A.), pp. 43–71. London, New York: Cambridge University Press.
- BUSCH, H. (1984) Nucleolar proteins: purification, isolation, and functional analyses. InChromosomal Non Histone Proteins, Vol. IV (edited by HNILICA, L. S.), pp. 233–86. Boca Raton, Florida: Chemical Rubber Company Press.
- BUYS, C. H. C. M. & OSINGA, J. (1980) Abundance of proteinbound sulfhydryl and disulfide groups at chromosomal nucleolus organizing regions. A cytochemical study on the selective silver staining of NORs.Chromosoma 77, 1–11.
- DE MEY, J. (1983) Colloidal probes in immunocytochemistry. InImmunocytochemistry (edited by POLAK, J. M and VAN NOORDEN, S.), pp. 82–112. Bristol, London, Boston: Wright.
- GOESSENS, G. (1984) Nucleolar structure.Int. Rev. Cytol. 87, 107–58.
- HERNANDEZ-VERDUN, D., DERENZINI, M. & BOUTEILLE, M. (1982) The morphological relationship in electron microscopy between NOR-silver proteins and intranucleolar chromatin.Chromosoma 85, 461–73.
- HERNANDEZ-VERDUN, D. & DERENZINI, M. (1983) Nonnucleosomal configuration of chromatin in nucleolar organizer regions of metaphase chromosomesin situ.Eur. J. Cell Biol. 31, 360–5.
- HERNANDEZ-VERDUN, D., DERENZINI, M. & BOUTEILLE, M. (1984) Relationship between the Ag-NOR proteins and ribosomal chromatinin situ during drug-induced RNA synthesis inhibition.J. Ultrastruct. Res. 88, 55–65.
- HOWELL, W. M., & BLACK, D. A. (1980) Controlled silver staining of nucleolus organizer regions with a protective colloĩdal developer: a one-step method.Experientia 36, 1014.
- HOWELL, W. M. (1982) Selective staining of nucleolus organizer regions (NORs). InThe Cell Nucleus, Vol. XI (edited by BUSCH, H. and ROTHBLUM, L.), pp. 89–142, New York, London: Academic Press.
- HUBBELL, H. R., ROTHBLUM, L. I. & HSU, T. C. (1979) Identification of a silver binding protein associated with the cytological silver staining of actively transcribing nucleolar regions.Cell Biol. Int. Rep. 3, 615–22.
- KACEROVSKA, H., LIKOVSKY, Z. & SMETANA, K. (1981) Nucleolar silver stained granules in rat Yoshida sarcoma cells after RNA synthesis inhibition.Neoplasma 28, 513–16.
- MORTON, C. C., BROWN, J. A., HOLMES, W. M., NANCE, W. E. & WOLF, B. (1983) Stain intensity of human nucleolus organizer region reflects incorporation of uridine into mature ribosomal RNA.Expl. Cell Res. 145, 405–13.
- OCHS, R. L. & BUSCH, H. (1984) Further evidence that phosphoprotein C23 (110 kD/pH 5.1) is the nucleolar silver staining protein.Expl Cell Res. 152, 260–5.
- OLSON, M. O. J. & THOMPSON, B. A. (1983) Distribution of proteins among chromatin components of nucleoli.Biochemistry 22, 3187–93.
- PLOTON, D., BOBICHON, H. & ADNET, J. J. (1982) Ultrastructural localization of NOR in nucleoli of human breast cancer tissues using a one-step Ag-NOR staining method.Biol. Cell. 43, 229–32.
- PLOTON, D., BENDAYAN, M. & ADNET, J. J. (1983) Ultrastructural localization of Ag-NOR proteins and nucleic acids in reticulated nucleoli.Biol. Cell. 49, 29–34.
- PLOTON, D., MENAGER, M. & ADNET, J. J. (1984a) Simultaneous high resolution localization of Ag-NOR proteins and nucleoproteins in interphasic and mitotic nuclei.Histochem. J. 16, 897–906.
- PLOTON, D., MENAGER, M. & ADNET, J. J. (1984b) Localisation ultrastructurale des protéines Ag-NOR sur coupes épaisses.Biol. Cell. 52, 88a.
- PLOTON, D., MENAGER, M. & ADNET, J. J. (1985a) Simultaneous ultrastructural localization of Ag-NOR (Nucleolar Organizer Region) proteins and ribonucleoproteins during mitosis in human breast cancerous tissues.J. Cell Sci. 74, 239–56.
- PLOTON, D., MENAGER, M. & ADNET, J. J. (1985b) Comparaison de la localisation des protéines argyrophiles nucléolaires dans les mitoses de trois lignées tumorales humaines et murines.Biol. Cell. 53, 45a.
- ROTH, J., BENDAYAN, M., CARLEMALM, E., VILLIGER, W. & GARAVITO, M. (1981) Enhancement of structural preservation and immunocytochemical staining in low temperature-embedded pancreatic tissue.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 29, 663–6.
- SEITE, R., PEBUSQUE, M. J. & VIO-CIGNA, M. (1982) Argyrophilic proteins on coiled-bodies in sympathetic neurons identified by Ag-NOR procedure.Biol. Cell. 46, 97–100.
- SCWARZACHER, H. G., MIKELSAAR, A. V. & SCHNEDL, W. (1978) The nature of the Ag-staining of nucleolus organizer regions. Electron and light microscopic studies on human cells in interphase, mitosis, and meiosis.Cytogenet. Cell. Genet. 20. 24–39.
- SNODGRESS, A. B., DORSEY, C. H., BAILEY, G. W. H. & DICKSON, L. G. (1972) Conventional histopathologic staining methods compatible with Epon-embedded, osmicated tissue.Lab. Invest. 26, 329–37.
- WILLIAMS, M. A., KLEINSCHMIDT, J. A., KROHNE, G. & FRANKE, W. W. (1982) Argyrophilic nuclear and nucleolar proteins ofXenopus laevis oocytes identified by gel electrophoresis.Expl Cell Res. 137, 341–51.
- Improvement in the staining and in the visualization of the argyrophilic proteins of the nucleolar organizer region at the optical level
The Histochemical Journal
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 5-14
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratoire d'Histologie, Embryologie et Cytogénétique, Faculté de Médecine, 51095, Reims Cedex, France
- 2. Laboratoire de Biochimie, Faculté de Pharmacie, 51095, Reims Cedex, France