, Volume 6, Issue 1, pp 76-80

Liver transplantation for liver cancer

Rent the article at a discount

Rent now

* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.

Get Access

Abstract

Results in the first 100 orthotopic liver allografts performed in the Cambridge-King's College Hospital series (1968–1980) are reported. Twenty-two patients survived beyond a year (age range, 16–59 years). Of these, 12 were cirrhotics and 10 were primary malignancies. Of the cirrhotics, 10 are alive, with the 2 deaths resulting from cholangitis. Two patients who had primary hepatic carcinoma are alive at 1 and 5 years following transplantation; the 8 deaths in this group were attributed to tumor recurrence (5 patients), sepsis (2 patients), and secondary cirrhosis possibly due to non-A non-B hepatitis (1 patient). Patients who survive for 6 months have a greatly increased chance of surviving the second 6 months and subsequently. Of the last 14 liver allografts (12 for cirrhosis and 2 for primary malignancy), there are 9 survivors. This mortality (36%) probably represents the results of better selection of the cirrhotics before they were too sick to withstand the operation; better control of rejection; and refinements in surgical procedure and anesthesia. For those patients surviving the first year, there is a 40% chance of the tumor's being eliminated. The late tumor recurrence rate is unacceptably high at 60%, however, and our criteria for patient selection have become increasingly selective.

Résumé

Cet article relate les 100 premiers cas de transplantation orthotopique du foie réalisée de 1968 à 1980 au Cambridge King's College Hospital. 22 opérés ont survécu plus de un an, leur âge allant de 16 à 59 ans; 12 étaient atteints de cirrhose et 10 de tumeurs primitives du foie. 10 des cirrhotiques transplantés sont vivants, 2 sont décédés d'angiocholite. Sur les 10 malades atteints de cancer primitif du foie 2 sont vivants la survie atteignant respectivement 1 an pour l'un, 5 ans pour l'autre mais 8 autres sont morts soit de récidive (5 cas), soit d'infection (2 cas) d'une cirrhose secondaire probablement post hépatitique.

Les opérés qui survivent plus de 6 mois ont une grande chance de survivre un semestre de plus. Des 14 dernières transplantations: 12 pour cirrhose, 2 pour cancer primitif 9 ont survécu. Le taux de mortalité de 36 pour cent seulement correspond à une meilleure sélection des cirrhotiques à opérer, à un meilleur contrÔle des phénomènes de rejet et à une amé lioration de la technique chirurgicale et de l'anesthesie.

Chez les opérés qui survécurent plus d'un an après transplantation pour cancer primitif le taux de récidive est de 60 pour cent. Il est inacceptable et doit inciter à une meilleure sélection des cas à opérer.