Theoretical basis for the Dubinin-Radushkevitch (D-R) adsorption isotherm equation
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The Dubinin-Radushkevitch (D-R) equation, which was originally proposed as an empirical adaptation The Polanyi adsorption potential theory, has been the fundamental equation to quantitatively describe the adsorption gases and vapors by microporous sorbents. The equation, based on the postulate that the mechanism for adsorption in micropores is that of pore-filling rather than layer-by-layer surface coverage, generally applies well to adsorption systems involving only van der Waals forces and is especially useful to describe adsorption on activated ???. The ability of the D-R equation to describe gas adsorption on porous materials has inspired many to undertake studies, both experimental and theoretical, to explain the source of the success of the D-R equation in ??? of molecular properties at the gas-solid interface. In many cases, these studies have led to extensions or modifications of the original D-R equation. Many of these attempts and the resulting extensions are reviewed and discussed here. Recently, an isotherm equation was derived for adsorption of gases and vapors on microporous ??? from statistical mechanical principles. It was shown that the D-R equation is an approximated form of this potential theory isotherm. This development is also reviewed and discussed.
- Cerofolini, G.F.,J. of Low Temp. Physics,6, 473 (1972).
- Cerofolini, G.F.,Thin Solid Films,23, 129 (1974).
- Cerofolini, G.F.,J. of Colloid and Interface Sci.,86, 204 (1982).
- Chen, S.G. and R.T. Yang,Langmuir,10, 4244 (1994).
- Dubinin, M.M.,Chem. and Phys. of Carbon, P.L. Walker, Jr. (Ed.), Mercel Dekker, New York, 1966.
- Dubinin, M.M.,Progress in Surface and Membrane Science, D.A. Cadenhead et al. (Eds.), Academic Press, New York, 1975.
- Dubinin, M.M.,Carbon,23, 373 (1985).
- Dubinin, M.M. and O. Kadlec,Carbon,24, 321 (1987).
- Dubinin, M.M. and V.A. Astakhov,Izv. Akad. Nauk SSR. Ser. Khim., p. 5, 1971.
- Dubinin, M.M. and L.V. Radushkevitch,Proc. Acad. Sci. USSR, Vol. 55, p. 331, 1947.
- Dubinin, M.M. and H.F. Stoeckli,J. of Colloid and Interface Sci.,75, 34 (1980).
- Goldmann, F. and M.M. Polanyi,Z. Phys. Chem., Abt A.,132, 321 (1928).
- Gregg, S.J. and K.S.W. Sing,Adsorption, Surface Area and Porosity, 2nd Ed., Academic Press, London 1982.
- Haeskaylo, J.J. and M.D. LeVan,Langmuir,1, 97 (1985).
- Hobson, J.P.,J. of Phys. Chem.,34, 1850 (1961).
- Huber, H., H.F. Stoeckli, and J.Ph. Houriet,J. of Colloid and Interface Sci.,67, 195 (1978).
- Jaroniec, M. and J. Choma,Carbon,26, 747 (1988a).
- Jaroniec, M. and R. Madley,Physical Adsorption on Heterogeneous Solids, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1988b.
- Jaroniec, M., R. Madey, J. Choma, B. McEnaney, and T.J. Mays,Carbon,27, 77 (1989).
- Jaroniec, M., J. Choma, and X. Lu,Chem. Eng. Sci.,46, 3299 (1991).
- Kapoor, A., J.A. Ritter, and R.T. Yang,Langmuir,5, 1118 (1989).
- Polanyi, M.,Verb. Deutsch. Physik. Ges.,16, 1012 (1914).
- Polanyi, M.,Trans. Faraday Soc.,28, 316 (1932).
- Rudzinski, W. and D.H. Everett,Adsorption of Gases on Heterogeneous Surfaces, Academic Press, London, 1992.
- Steele, W.A.,The Interaction of Gases with Solid Surfaces, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1974.
- Stoeckli, H.F.,J. of Colloid and Interface Sci.,59, 184 (1977).
- Stoeckli, H.F.,Carbon,19, 325 (1981).
- Theoretical basis for the Dubinin-Radushkevitch (D-R) adsorption isotherm equation
Volume 3, Issue 3 , pp 189-195
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Dubinin-Radushkevitch equation
- Dubinin-Astakhov equation
- micropore adsorption
- Industry Sectors