Bounds on the correlations and analyticity properties of ferromagnetic Ising spin systems
- Joel L. Lebowitz
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We consider a ferromagnetic Ising spin system isomorphic to a lattice gas with attractive interactions. Using the Fortuin, Kasteleyn and Ginibre (FKG) inequalities we derive bounds on the decay of correlations between two widely separated sets of particles in terms of the decay of the pair correlation. This leads to bounds on the derivatives of various orders of the free energy with respect to the magnetic fieldh, and reciprocal temperature β. In particular, if the pair correlation has an upper bound (uniform in the size of the system) which decays exponentially with distance in some neighborhood of (β′,h′) then the thermodynamic free energy density ψ(β,h) andall the correlation functions are infinitely differentiable at (β′,h′). We then show that when only pair interactions are present it is sufficient to obtain such a bound only ath=0 (and only in the infinite volume limit) for systems with suitable boundary conditions. This is the case in the two dimensional square lattice with nearest neighbor interactions for 0≦β<β0, where β 0 −1 is the Onsager temperature at which ψ(β,h=0) has a singularity. For β>β0, ∂ψ(β,h)/∂h is discontinuous ath=0, i.e. β0=βc, where β c −1 is the temperature below which there is spontaneous magnetization.
- Ornstein, L. S., Zernike, F.: Z. Physik19, 134 (1918);27, 761 (1926).
- Fisher, M. E.: J. Math. Phys.5, 944 (1964) [see especially footnote 59].
- Camp, W. J., Fisher, M. E.: Phys. Rev. B6, 946 (1972); W. J. Camp, The Decay of order in Many-Body systems. II. The ising model at high temperatures. Phys. Rev. B6, 960 (1972).
- Ruelle, D.: Statistical mechanics. New York: Benjamin 1969.
- Jones, G. L., Coletta, V. P.: Phys. Rev.171, 428 (1969). — Camp, W. J., Fisher, M. E.: Phys. Rev. Letters26, 73 (1971). — Fisher, M. E., Camp, W. J.: Phys. Rev. Letters26, 565 (1971).
- Fortuin, C. M., Kaseleyn, P. W., Ginibre, J.: Commun. math. Phys.22, 89 (1971).
- Lebowitz, J. L., Penrose, O.: Commun. math. Phys.11, 99 (1968).
- Lebowitz, J. L.: Ann. Rev. Phys. Chem.19, 194 (1968).
- Griffiths, R. B.: Rigorous results and theorems, to appear in Phase Transitions and Critical Points, edited by C. Domb and M. S. Green. New York: Academic Press 1972.
- Lebowitz, J. L., Martin-Löf, A.: Commun. math. Phys.25, 276 (1972).
- Griffiths, R. B., Hurst, C. A., Sherman, S.: J. Math. Phys.11, 790 (1970).
- Onsager, L.: Phys. Rev.65, 117 (1944).
- Kaufman, B., Onsager, L.: Phys. Rev.76, 1244 (1949); cf. also, Montroll, E. W., Potts, R. B., Ward, J. C.: J. Math. Phys.4, 308 (1963). — Schultz, T. D., Mattis, D. C., Lieb, E.: Rev. Mod. Phys.36, 856 (1964).
- Marinaro, M., Sewell, G. L.: Commun. math. Phys.24, 310 (1972); see also Minlos, R. A., Sinai, Ja. G.: Teor. Matem. Fizika2 (2), 230 (1970).
- Griffiths, R.: Phys. Rev.152, 240 (1966). — Martin-Löf, A.: On the spontaneous magnetization in the Ising Model, preprint.
- Fisher, M. E.: Phys. Rev.162, 475 (1967).
- Bounds on the correlations and analyticity properties of ferromagnetic Ising spin systems
Communications in Mathematical Physics
Volume 28, Issue 4 , pp 313-321
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Joel L. Lebowitz (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Belfer Graduate School of Science, Yeshiva University, New York, N.Y., USA