Summary of workshop on drinking water fluoride influence on hip fracture on bone health
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
- Anonymous. Review of fluoride benefits and risks. Dept. of Health and Human Services, February 1991.
- Evans, FG, Wood, JL (1976) Mechanical properties and density of bone in a case of severe endemic fluorosis. Acta Orthop Scand 47: pp. 489-95
- Franke, J, Runge, H, Grau, P, Fengler, F, Wanka, C, Rempel, H (1976) Physical properties of fluorosis bone. Acta Orthop Scand 47: pp. 201-5
- Wolinsky, I, Simkin, A (1972) Gugenheim K. Effects of fluoride on metabolism and mechanical properties of rat bone. Am J Physiol 223: pp. 46-50
- Sowers, MR, Wallace, RB, Lemke, JH (1986) The relationship of bone mass and fracture history to fluoride and calcium intake: a study of three communities. Am J Clin Nutr 44: pp. 889-98
- Beary, DF (1969) The effects of fluoride and low calcium on the physical properties of the rat femur. Anat Rec 164: pp. 305-16
- Akhter MP, Turner CH. Fluoride intake versus bone strength in rat bones. J Bone Miner Res 1990;5:S98.
- Dambacher, MA, Ittner, J, Ruegsegger, P (1986) Longterm fluoride therapy of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Bone 7: pp. 199-205
- Mamelle, N, Dusan, R, Meunier, DJ, Martin, JL, Gaucher, A (1988) Risk-benefit ratio of sodium fluoride treatment in primary vertebral osteoporosis. Lancet 2: pp. 361-5
- Riggs, BL, Hodgson, SF, O'Fallon, WM (1990) Effects of fluoride treatment on the fracture rate in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 322: pp. 802-9
- Kleerekoper, M, Peterson, E, Phillips, E, Nelson, D, Tilley, B, Parfitt, AM (1989) Continuous sodium fluoride therapy does not reduce vertebral fracture rate in postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 4: pp. 1035
- Inkovaara, J, Heikinheimo, R, Jarvinen, K, Kasurinen, U, Hanhijarvi, H, Iisalo, H (1975) Prophylactic fluoride treatment and aged bones. Br Med J 3: pp. 73
- Riggs, BL, Baylink, DJ, Kleerkoper, M, Lane, JM, Melton, LJ, Meunier, PJ (1987) Incidence of hip fractures in osteoporotic women treated with sodium fluoride. J Bone Miner Res 2: pp. 123-6
- Simonen, O, Laitinen, O (1985) Does fluoridation of drinking-water prevent bone fragility and osteoporosis?. Lancet 2: pp. 432-4
- Arnala, I, Alhava, EM, Kivivouri, R, Kauranen, P (1986) Hip fracture incidence not affected by fluoridation: osteofluorosis studied in Finland. Acta Orthop Scand 57: pp. 344-8
- Arnala, I (1987) Fluoridation and hip fractures. Med J Austr 146: pp. 451
- Alffram, PA, Hernborg, J, Nilsson, BER (1969) The influence of a high fluoride content in the drinking water on the bone mineral mass in man. Acta Orthop Scand 40: pp. 137-42
- Melton, LJ (1990) Fluoride in the prevention of osteoporosis and fractures. J Bone Miner Res 5: pp. S163-S167
- Felsenfeld, Aj, Roberts, MA (1991) A report of fluorosis in the United States secondary to drinking well water. JAMA 265: pp. 486-8
- Sowers, MR, Clark, MK, Jannausch, ML, Wallace, RB (1991) A prospective study of bone mineral content and fracture in communities with different fluoride exposure. Am J Epidemiol 133: pp. 649-60
- Cauley, JA, Murphy, pA, Riley, T, Black, D (1991) Public health bonus of water fluoridation: does fluoridation prevent osteoporosis and its related fractures?. Am J Epidemiol 134: pp. 768
- Keller C. Fluorides in drinking water. Unpublished data 1991.
- May DS, Wilson MG. Hip fractures in relation to water fluoridation:an ecologic analysis. Unpublished data 1991.
- Jacobsen, SJ, Goldberg, J, Miles, T, Brody, JA, Stiers, W, Rimm, AA (1990) Regional variation in the incidence of hip fracture. JAMA 264: pp. 500-2
- Cooper, C, Wickham, CA, Barker, DJ, Jacobson, SJ (1991) Water fluoridation and hip fracture. JAMA 266: pp. 513
- Jacobson SJ, Goldberg J, Cooper C, Lockwood SA. The association between water fluoridation and hip fracture among white women and men aged 65 years and older: a national ecologic study. Ann Epidemiol 1992 (in press).
- Summary of workshop on drinking water fluoride influence on hip fracture on bone health
Volume 2, Issue 3 , pp 109-117
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Musculoskeletal Diseases Branch, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda
- 2. Disease Prevention Policy Analyst, National Center for Preventive Services, Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, USA