The epidemiology of hip fracture in Asia: An update
- Cite this article as:
- Lau, E.M.C. Osteoporosis Int (1996) 6(Suppl 3): 19. doi:10.1007/BF01623759
- 58 Downloads
1. The incidence of hip fracture is increasing in urbanized parts of Asia.
2. The incidence of hip fracture in Asian populations is still only 60% of that in Caucasians.
3. The lower incidence of hip fracture in Asian populations is not due to a higher bone mineral density, but may be due to a shorter hip axis length.
4. A low dietary calcium intake, lack of physical activity and falls are important risk factors for hip fracture in Chinese.