Effects of calcium supplements on femoral bone mineral density and vertebral fracture rate in vitamin-D-replete elderly patients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The efficacy of calcium (Ca) in reducing bone loss is debated. In a randomized placebo-controlled double-masked study, we investigated the effects of oral Ca supplements on femoral shaft (FS), femoral neck (FN) and lumbar spine (LS) bone mineral density (BMD), and on the incidence of vertebral fracture in vitamin-D-replete elderly. Ninety-three healthy subjects (72.1±0.6 years) were randomly allocated to three groups receiving 800 mg/day Ca in two different forms or a placebo for 18 months. Sixty-three patients (78.4±1.0 years) with a recent hip fracture were allocated to two groups receiving the two forms of Ca without placebo. FS BMD changes in Ca-supplemented non-fractured women were significantly different from those in the placebo group (+0.6±0.5% v −1.2±0.7%,p<0.05). There was no difference in effect between the two forms of Ca. The changes of +0.7±0.8% v −1.7±1.6% in FN BMD of Ca-supplemented women and the placebo group did not reach statistical significance. In fractured patients, FS, FN and LS BMD changes were −1.3±0.8, +0.3±1.6 and +3.1±1.2% (p<0.05 for the last). The rate of new vertebral fractures was 74.3 and 106.2 fractures per 1000 patient-years in Ca-supplemented non-fractured subjects and in the placebo group, respectively, and 144.0 in Ca-supplemented fractured patients. Thus, oral Ca supplements prevented a femoral BMD decrease and lowered vertebral fracture rate in the elderly.
- Kanis JA, Passmore R. Calcium supplementation of the diet: not justified by present evidence. BMJ 1989;298:137–40, 205-8.
- Nordin BEC, Heaney RP. Calcium supplementation of the diet: justified by present evidence. BMJ 1990;300:1056–9.
- Matkovic V. Calcium and peak bone mass. J Intern Med 1992;231:151–60.
- Johnston CC, Miller JZ, Slemenda CW, et al. Calcium supplementation and increases in bone mineral density in children. N Engl J Med 1992;327:82–7.
- Dawson-Hughes B. Calcium supplementation and bone loss: a review of controlled clinical trials. Am J Clin Nutr 1991;54:S274-S280.
- Dawson-Hughes B, Dallal GE, Krall EA, Sadowski L, Sahyoun N, Tannenbaum S. A controlled trial of the effect of calcium supplementation on bone density in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med 1990;323:878–83.
- Elders PJM, Netelenbos JC, Lips P, et al. Calcium supplementation reduces vertebral bone loss in perimenopausal women: a controlled trial in 248 women between 46 and 55 years of age. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1991;73:533–40.
- Reid IR, Ames RW, Evans MC, Gamble GD, Sharpe SJ. Effect of calcium supplementation on bone loss in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med 1993;328:460–4.
- Riis B, Thomsen K, Christiansen C. Does calcium supplementation prevent postmenopausal bone loss? N Engl J Med 1987;316:173–7.
- Barrett-Connor E. The RDA for calcium in the elderly: too little, too late. Calcif Tissue Int 1989;44:303–7.
- Delmi M, Rapin CH, Bengoa JM, Delmas PD, Vasey H, Bonjour JP. Dietary supplementation in elderly patients with fractured neck of the femur. Lancet 1990;335:1013–6.
- Bullamore JR, Wilkinson R, Gallagher JC, Nordin BEC. Effect of age on calcium absorption. Lancet 1970;ii:535–7.
- Smith EL, Reddan W, Smith PE. Physical activity and calcium modalities for bone mineral increase in aged women. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1981;13:60–4.
- Fujita T, Fukase M, Miyamoto H, Matsumoto T, Ohue T. Increase of bone mineral density by calcium supplement with oyster shell electrolysate. Bone Miner 1990;11:85–91.
- Lau EMC, Woo J, Leung PC, Swaminathan R, Leung D. The effects of calcium supplementation and exercise on bone density in elderly Chinese women. Osteoporosis Int 1992;2:168–73.
- Chapuy MC, Arlot ME, Dubceuf F, et al. Vitamin D3 and calcium to prevent hip fractures in elderly women. N Engl J Med 1992;327:1637–42.
- Chapuy MC, Durr F, Chapuy P. Age-related changes in parathyroid hormone and 25-hydroxycholecalciferol levels. J Gerontol 1983;38:19–22.
- Tkatch LJ, Rapin CH, Rizzoli R, et al. Benefits of oral protein supplementation in elderly patients with fracture of the proximal femur. J Am Coll Nutr 1992;11:519–525.
- Slosman DO, Rizzoli R, Buchs B, Piana F, Donath A, Bonjour JP. Comparative study of the performances of X-ray and gadolinium-153 bone densitometers at the level of the spine, femoral neck and femoral shaft. Eur J Nucl Med 1990;17:3–9.
- Smith-Bindman R, Cummings SR, Steiger P, Genant HK. A comparison of morphometric definitions of vertebral fracture. J Bone Miner Res 1991;6:25–34.
- Watts NB, Harris ST, Genant HK, et al. Intermittent cyclical etidronate treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 1990;323:73–9.
- Riggs BL, Hodgson SF, O'Fallon WM, et al. Effect of fluoride treatment on the fracture rate in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 1990;322:802–9.
- Ross PD, Wasnich RD, Davis JW, Vogel JM. Vertebral dimension differences between Caucasian populations, and between Caucasians and Japanese. Bone 1991;12:107–12.
- Bonjour JP, Philippe J, Guelpa G, et al. Bone and renal components in hypercalcemia of malignancy and responses to a single infusion of clodronate. Bone 1988;9:123–30.
- Bijvoet OLM, Morgan DB, Fourman P. The assessment of phosphate reabsorption. Clin Chim Acta 1969;26:15–24.
- Buchs B, Rizzoli R, Slosman D, Nydegger V, Bonjour JP. Densité minérale osseuse de la colonne lombaire, du col et de la diaphyse fémoraux d'un échantillon de la population genevoise. Schweiz Med Wochenschr 1992;122:1129–36.
- Chevalley T, Rizzoli R, Nydegger V, et al. Preferential low bone mineral density of the femoral neck in patients with a recent fracture of the proximal femur. Osteoporosis Int 1991;1:147–54.
- Nordin BEC, Need AG, Morris HA, Horowitz M, Robertson WG. Evidence for a renal calcium leak in postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1991;72:401–7.
- Obrant KJ, Merle B, Bejui J, Delmas PD. Serum bone-Gla protein after fracture. Clin Orthop 1990;258:300–3.
- Ross PD, Wasnich RD, Vogel JM. Detection of prefracture spinal osteoporosis using bone mineral absorptiometry. J Bone Miner Res 1988;3:1–12.
- Melton JL, Kan SH, Frye MA, Wahner HW, O'Fallon WM, Riggs BL. Epidemiology of vertebral fractures in women. Am J Epidemiol 1989;129:1000–11.
- Effects of calcium supplements on femoral bone mineral density and vertebral fracture rate in vitamin-D-replete elderly patients
Volume 4, Issue 5 , pp 245-252
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bone mineral density
- Femoral neck
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Clinical Pathophysiology (World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Osteoporosis and Bone Disease), University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
- 3. Department of Medicine, Division of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
- 4. University Geriatrics Institutions, Geneva, Switzerland
- 5. Department of Radiology, Orthopaedic Clinic, Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland