Design knowledge acquisition for DFM methodologies
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Design for Manufacturability (DFM) is a philosophy that encourages the communication of manufacturing information at the earliest stages of design in order to design parts and products that can be produced with greater ease and economy. This paper discusses the extensive experience gathered during the development of several DFM models in order to draw some conclusions and express some concerns that should be of interest to all those who develop or use manufacturing models that rely on design knowledge acquisition of knowledge from domain experts and/or industrial sites.
- Knight, W.A., and Poli, C., “A Systematic Approach to Forging Design,” Machine Design, January 24, 1985.
- Poli, C., Escudereo, J., and Fernandez, R., “How Part Design Affects Injection Molding Tool Costs,” Machine Design, November 24, 1988.
- Poli, C., Kuo, S.M., and Sunderland, J.E., “Keeping a Lid on Mold Processing Costs,” Machine Design, October 26, 1989.
- Poli, C., and Fredette, L., “Product Design for Economical Die Casting—The Influence of Part Shape on Tooling Cost,” Proceedings of the 15th International Die Casting Congress, St. Louis, October 1989.
- Poli, C., Dastidar, P., and Mahajan, P., “Design for Stamping, Part I—Analysis of Part Attributes that Impact Die Construction Costs for Metal Stamping,” Proceedings of the ASME Design Automation Conference, Miami, September 1991.
- Poli, C., and Shanmugasundaram, S., “Design for Die Casting—A Group Technology Based Approach,” Proceedings of the ASME Design Theory and Methodology Conference, Miami, September 1991.
- Vemuri, V. (1978) Modeling of Complex Systems—An Introduction. Academic Press, New York
- Spriet, J.A., Vansteenkiste, G.C. (1982) Computer-aided Modelling and Simulation. Academic Press, New York, NY
- Wright, P.K., and Bourne, D.A., “Manufacturing Intelligence,” Addision-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc., 1988.
- Nevins, J.L., Whitney, D.E. eds. (1989) Concurrent Design of Products and Processes. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Sanders, J.L., “Assembly Sequence Recovery in Flexible Assembly,” Computers in Engineering, Vol. 1, 1988.
- Subramanium, E., Rychener, M.D., Wiss, J.M., and Lasky, S.J., “Diagnosis for a Complex Machine: Integration of Evidential Reasoning with Causal Reasoning and Quantitative Simulation,” Computers in Engineering, Vol. 1, 1988.
- Sakurai, H., and Gossard, D.C., “Shape Feature Recognition from 3D Models,” Computers in Engineering, Vol. 1, 1988.
- Cutkosky, M.R., Tenenbaum, J.M., and Muller, D., “Features in Process-Based Design,” Computers in Engineering, Vol. 1, 1988.
- Fong, E.N., Dabrowski, C.E. (1988) Application of Expert System to Select Data Sources from Chemical Information Databases. Managing Engineering Data—Emerging Issues. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York
- Dastidar, P. (1989) Design for Stamping—A Manufacturing Advisory System for the Economical Design of Metal Stampings. University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Ruffo, J.G. (1985) Shape Coding and Economic Model for Die Casting. University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Villegas, J.R. (1985) Design for Injection Molding, A Coding System for Materials. Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Fredette, L.F. (1989) A Design Aid for Increasing the Producibility of Die Cast Parts. University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- “Tool Cost Estimating Guidelines,” Multinational Standard 9T, Rank Xerox, Venray, Holland, 1985.
- Divgi, J. (1986) The Effect of Part Design Attributes on Material Costs in Die Casting and Tooling Costs in Die Casting and Injection Molding. Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Fernandez, R.L. (1987) The Effect of Part Design on Tooling Cost in Injection Molding. University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Kuo, S.M., “Knowledge-Based System for Economical Injection Molding,” PhD Dissertation, University of Massachusetts, February 1990.
- Sanada, M., Technical Paper, 19:237, Proceedings of ANTEC, 1973.
- Harig, H. (1977) Estimating Stamping Dies. Harig Educational Systems, Scottsdale, Arizona
- Design knowledge acquisition for DFM methodologies
Research in Engineering Design
Volume 4, Issue 3 , pp 131-145
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 01003, Amherst, MA, USA
- 2. Industrial Engineering and Operations Research Department, University of Massachusetts/Amherst, Amherst, Massachusetts, USA