Stability analysis of complex dynamical systems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We present two new algorithms to estimate the domain of attraction of the equilibriumx=0 of a nonlinear systemx=f(x). One of these algorithms utilizes quadratic Lyapunov functions while the second algorithm makes use of norm Lyapunov functions. Both of these procedures yield estimates for the domain of attraction which are comparable to those obtained by existing methods; however, the present algorithms appear to be significantly more efficient than existing algorithms.
We also show how sometimes the applicability of the above results can be extended to high order systems by invoking the comparison principle. In doing so, we establish some results for the comparison principle which are of interest in their own right. Specifically, we relate the domain of attraction of a low order comparison system to the domain of attraction of a higher order system and we give an interpretation of the comparison principle in terms of stability preserving maps.
In order to demonstrate the applicability of the present results, and in order to compare the present results with existing results, several specific examples are presented.
- E. J. Davison and E. M. Kurak, “A Computational Method for Determining Quadratic Lyapunov Functions for Nonlinear Systems,”Automatica, Vol. 17, 1971, pp. 627–636.
- R. K. Brayton and C. H. Tong, “Stability of Dynamical Systems: A Constructive Approach,”IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 26, April 1979, pp. 224–234.
- R. K. Brayton and C. H. Tong, “Constructive Stability and Asymptotic Stability of Dynamical Systems,”IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 27, November 1980, pp. 1121–1130.
- A. N. Michel and R. K. Miller,Qualitative Analysis of Large-Scale Dynamical Systems, Academic Press, New York, 1977.
- D. N. Shields and C. Storey, “The Behavior of Optimal Lyapunov Functions,”International Journal of Control, Vol. 21, No. 4, 1975, pp. 561–573.
- H. R. Schwarz, H. Rutishauser, and E. Stiefel,Numerical Analysis of Symmetric Matrices (Transl. by P. Hertelendy), Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1973.
- H. H. Rosenbrock and C. Storey,Computational Techniques for Chemical Engineers, Pergamon Press, London, 1966.
- J. J. Rodden, “Numerical Application of Lyapunov Stability Theory,”Proceedings of the 1964 JACC, pp. 261–268.
- H. H. Rosenbrock, “An Automatic Method for Finding the Greatest or Least Value of a Function,”Computer Journal, Vol. 3, 1960, pp. 175–184.
- R. Subramanian and R. K. Bansal, “Estimation of Power System Stability Domains Using Quadratic Lyapunov Functions,”Proceedings of the IEE, Vol. 124, No. 7, July 1977, pp. 597–601.
- W. Hahn,Stability of Motion, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1967.
- J. LaSalle and S. Lefschetz,Stability by Lyapunov's Direct Method with Applications, Academic Press, New York, 1961.
- M. A. Pai, “Stability of Large Scale Interconnected Power Systems,”Proceedings of the 1980 IEEE International Conference on Circuits and Computers, Port Chester, New York, October 1980, pp. 413–416.
- Y. K. Chen and R. Schinzinger, “Lyapunov Stability of Multi-Machine Power Systems Using Decomposition — Aggregation Method,” Paper A-80–036–4, IEEE PES Winter Meeting, New York, 1980.
- J. Thomas, “Über die Invarianz der Stabilität be einem PhasenraumHomöomorphismus,”J. für reine und angewandte Mathematik, Vol. 213, 1964, pp. 147–150.
- W. Hahn, “Über Stabilitätserhaltende Abbildungen und Ljapunovsche Funktionen,”J. für die reine und angewandte Mathematik, Vol. 228, 1967, pp.189–192.
- A. N. Michel, R. K. Miller and W. Tang, “Lyapunov Stability of Interconnected Systems: Decomposition into Strongly Connected Subsystems,”IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 28, September 1978, pp. 799–809.
- R. K. Bansal, “Estimation of Stability Domains for the Transient Stability Investigation of Power Systems,” Ph.D. Dissertation, I.I.T., Kanpur, India, 1975.
- J. K. Kuester and J. H. Mize,Optimization Techniques with FORTRAN, McGraw-Hill Company, New York, 1973.
- Stability analysis of complex dynamical systems
Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 171-202
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors