Broyden's method in Hilbert space
- Ekkehard W. Sachs
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Broyden's method is formulated for the solution of nonlinear operator equations in Hilbert spaces. The algorithm is proven to be well defined and a linear rate of convergence is shown. Under an additional assumption on the initial approximation for the derivative we prove the superlinear rate of convergence.
- S. Agmon,Lectures on elliptic boundary value problems (Van Nostrand, Princeton, 1965).
- P.M. Anselone,Collectively compact operator approximation theory and applications to integral equations (Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1971).
- C.G. Broyden, “A class of methods for solving nonlinear simultaneous equations“,Mathematics of Computation 19(1965) 577–593.
- C.G. Broyden, “The convergence of single-rank quasi-Newton methods“,Mathematics of Computation 24(1970) 365–382.
- C.G. Broyden, J.E. Dennis, Jr., and J.J. Moré, “On the local and superlinear convergence of quasi-Newton methods“,Journal of Institute of Mathematics and Applications 12(1973) 223–246.
- D.W. Decker and C.T. Kelley, “Broyden's method for a class of problems having singular Jacobian at the root“,SIAM Journal Control and Optimization 22(1985) 566–574.
- J.E. Dennis, Jr., “Toward a unified convergence theory for Newton-like methods“, in: L.B. Rall, ed.,Nonlinear functional analysis and applications (Academic Press, New York, London, 1971) pp. 425–472.
- J.E. Dennis, Jr. and J.J. Moré, “A characterization of superlinear convergence and its application to quasi-Newton methods“,Mathematics of Computation 28(1974) 543–560.
- J. Dieudonné,Foundations of modern analysis (Academic Press, New York and London, 1960).
- Z. Fortuna, “Some convergence properties of the conjugate gradient method in Hilbert space“,SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis 16(1979) 380–384.
- A Griewank, “The superlinear convergence of secant method on mildly non-linear problems in Hilbert space”, preprint, Southern Methodist University (Dallas, August 1984).
- W.A. Gruver and E. Sachs,Algorithmic methods in optimal control (Pitman, Boston, London, Melbourne, 1981).
- L.B. Horwitz and P.E. Sarachik, “Davidon's methods in Hilbert space“,SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics 16(1968) 676–695.
- L.V. Kantorovich, “Functional analysis and applied mathematics“,Upspekhi Matematiki Nauk 3(1948) 89–185.
- L.V. Kantorovich and G.P. Akilov,Functional analysis in normed spaces (MacMillan, New York, 1964).
- T. Kato,Perturbation theory for linear operators (Springer-Verlag, New York, 1966).
- R.H. Martin,Nonlinear operators and differential equations in Banach spaces (Wiley, New York-Chichester-Brisbane-Toronto, 1976).
- K. Madsen, “Minimax solutions of nonlinear equations without calculating derivatives“,Mathematical Programming Study 3(1975) 110–126.
- R.V. Mayorga and V.H. Quintana, “A family of variable metric methods in function space, without exact line searches“,Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 31 (1980) 303–329.
- R.H. Moore, “Approximations to nonlinear operator equations and Newton'smethods“,Numerische Mathematik 12(1968) 23–34.
- J.J. Moré and J.A. Trangenstein, “On the global convergence of Broyden's method“,Mathematics of Computation 30(1976) 523–540.
- E. Sachs, “Global convergence of quasi-Newton-type algorithms for some nonsmooth optimization problems“,Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 40(1983) 201–219.
- E. Sachs, “Convergence rates of quasi-Newton algorithms for some nonsmooth optimization problems“,SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization 23(1985) 401–418.
- M.J. Todd, “Quasi-Newton updates in abstract vector spaces“,SIAM Review 26(1984) 367–377.
- H. Tokumaru, N. Adachi, and K. Goto, “Davidon's method for minimization problems in Hilbert space with an application to control problems“,SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization 8(1970) 163–178.
- P.R. Turner and E. Huntley, “Variable metric methods in Hilbert space with applications to control problems“,Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 19(1976) 381–400.
- R. Winther, “A Numerical Galerkin Method for a Parabolic Problem”, Ph.D. Thesis, Cornell University (Ithaca, NY, 1977).
- Broyden's method in Hilbert space
Volume 35, Issue 1 , pp 71-82
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Broyden's method
- quasi-Newton methods
- superlinear convergence rate
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, North Carolina State University, Box 8205, 27695-8205, Raleigh, NC, USA