Propagation of super-Gaussian field distributions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The near- and far-field propagation of initially super-Gaussian field distributions is discussed. upon propagation, the beam profile is shown to undergo distortions of a magnitude which increases with the super-Gaussian order. These distortions can lead to a significant increase of the on-axis intensity in the near-field. The beam quality, evaluated both in terms of the beam parameter product and theM 2 factor, is shown to decrease as the super-Gaussian order gets larger. These calculations also illustrate the difficulties associated with theM 2 factor when characterizing the propagation of a beam with increasingly sharp edges. The effect of the transmission of the super-Gaussian field through a super-Gaussian graded-reflectivity mirror (GRM) is also discussed. The results of this study have direct implication in the domain of GRM resonator design.
- A. PARENT and P. LAVIGNE,Appl. Opt. 28 (1989) 901.
- S. DE SILVESTRI, V. MAGNI, O. SVELTO and G. VALENTINI,IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 26 (1990) 1500.
- A. E. SIEGMAN,SPIE 1224 (1990) 2.
- P. A. BÉLANGER,Opt. Lett. 16 (1991) 196.
- A. E. SIEGMAN,IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 27 (1991) 1146.
- A. PARENT, M. MORIN and P. LAVIGNE,Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, 1991 (Optical Society of America, Washington DC, 1991), p. 430.
- A. E. SIEGMAN,Lasers (University Science Books, Mill Valley, 1986) p. 712.
- N. McCARTHY and P. LAVIGNE,Appl. Opt. 23 (1984) 3845.
- N. HODGSON, T. HAASE and H. WEBER,Proc. SPIE 1277 (1990).
- M. W. SASNETT, Propagation of multimode laser beams — TheM 2 factor,The Physics and Technology of Laser Resonators. edited by D. R. Hall and P. E. Jackson, (Adam Hilger, Bristol, 1989) chapter 9.
- J. W. GOODMAN,Introduction to Fourier Optics (McGraw-Hill, San Francisco, 1968) section 3.7.
- Propagation of super-Gaussian field distributions
Optical and Quantum Electronics
Volume 24, Issue 9 , pp S1071-S1079
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors