Necessary and sufficient optimality conditions for a class of nonsmooth minimization problems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of this paper is to derive, in a unified way, second order necessary and sufficient optimality criteria, for four types of nonsmooth minimization problems: thediscrete minimax problem, thediscrete l 1-approximation, the minimization of theexact penalty function and the minimization of theclassical exterior penalty function. Our results correct and supplement conditions obtained by various authors in recent papers.
- A. Auslender, “Penalty methods for computing points that satisfy second order necessary conditions”,Mathematical Programming 17 (1979) 229–238.
- A. Ben-Tal and J. Zowe, “A unified theory of first and second order conditions for extremum problems in topological vector spaces”,Mathematical Programming Study 19 (1982) 39–76.
- A. Ben-Tal and J. Zowe, “Discretel 1-approximation and related nonlinear nondifferentiable problems”, Preprint, Institute of Mathematics, University of Bayreuth, Bayreuth (1980).
- C. Charalambous, “On the condition for optimality of the non-linearl 1-problem”,Mathematical Programming 19 (1980) 178–185.
- T.F. Coleman and A.R. Conn, “Second order conditions for an exact penalty function”,Mathematical Programming 19 (1980) 178–185.
- J.M. Danskin,The theory of max-min (Springer, Berlin, 1967).
- V.F. Dem'yanov and V.N. Malozemov,Introduction to minimax (Wiley, New York, 1974).
- V.F. Dem'yanov and A.B. Pevnyi, “Expansion with respect to a parameter of the extremal values of game problems”,USSR Computational Mathematics and Mathematical Physics 14 (1974) 33–45.
- R.J. Duffin, “Infinite programs”, in: H.W. Kuhn and A.W. Tucker, eds.,Linear inequalities and related systems (Princeton University Press, Princeton, NH, 1956) pp. 157–171.
- R. Fletcher and G.A. Watson, “First and second order conditions for a class of nondifferentiable optimization problems”,Mathematical Programming 18 (1980) 291–307.
- S.P. Han and O.L. Mangasarian, “Exact penalty functions in nonlinear programming”,Mathematical Programming 17 (1979) 251–269.
- W. Krabs,Optimization and approximation (Wiley, New York, 1979).
- H. Maurer and J. Zowe, “First and second order necessary and sufficient optimality conditions for infinite-dimensional programming problems”,Mathematical Programming 16 (1979) 98–110.
- T. Pietrzykowski, “An exact penalty method for constrained maxima”,SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis 6 (1969) 299–304.
- Necessary and sufficient optimality conditions for a class of nonsmooth minimization problems
Volume 24, Issue 1 , pp 70-91
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Necessary and Sufficient Second Order Conditions
- Nonsmooth Optimization
- Minimax Problem
- l 1-Approximation
- Penalty Functions
- Directional Derivatives
- Industry Sectors