Rounding algorithms for covering problems
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In the last 25 years approximation algorithms for discrete optimization problems have been in the center of research in the fields of mathematical programming and computer science. Recent results from computer science have identified barriers to the degree of approximability of discrete optimization problems unless P = NP. As a result, as far as negative results are concerned a unifying picture is emerging. On the other hand, as far as particular approximation algorithms for different problems are concerned, the picture is not very clear. Different algorithms work for different problems and the insights gained from a successful analysis of a particular problem rarely transfer to another.
Our goal in this paper is to present a framework for the approximation of a class of integer programming problems (covering problems) through generic heuristics all based on rounding (deterministic using primal and dual information or randomized but with nonlinear rounding functions) of the optimal solution of a linear programming (LP) relaxation. We apply these generic heuristics to obtain in a systematic way many known as well as new results for the set covering, facility location, general covering, network design and cut covering problems. © 1998 The Mathematical Programming Society, Inc. Published by Elsevier Science B.V.
- M. Garey, D. Johnson, Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-completeness, 1979, Freeman, San Francisco, CA.
- S. Arora, C. Lund, R. Motwani, M. Sudan, M. Szegedy, Proof verification and intractability of approximation problems, 33rd IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, 1992, pp. 14–23.
- C. Lund, M. Yannakakis, On the hardness of approximating minimization problems, 33rd IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, 1992, pp. 960–981.
- P. Raghavan, C. Thompson, Randomized rounding: A technique for provably good algorithms and algorithmic proofs, Combinatorica 7 (1987) 365–374.
- A. Srivastav, P. Stangier, Integer multicommodity flows with reduced demands, Proceedings of the First European Symposium on Algorithms, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, no. 726, Springer, Berlin, 1993, pp. 360–372.
- A. Srivastav, P. Stangier, Tight approximations of resource constrained scheduling problems, Proceedings of the Second European Symposium on Algorithms, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, no. 855, Springer, Berlin, 1994, pp. 307–318.
- M. Goemans, D. Williamson, (1992). A general approximation technique for constrained forest problems, Proceedings of the Third ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, 1992, pp. 307–316.
- D. Williamson, M. Goemans, M. Mihail, V. Vazirani, A primal-dual approximation algorithm for generalized steiner network problems, Proceedings of the 25th ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing, 1993, pp. 708–717.
- M.X. Goemans, A.V. Goldberg, S. Plotkin, D.B. Shmoys, E. Tardos, D.P. Williamson, Improved approximation algorithms for network design problems, Proceedings of the fifth ACM-SIAM Symposium of Discrete Algorithms, (1994) pp. 223–232.
- M. Yannakakis, On the Approximation of Maximum Satisfiability, Proceedings of the Third ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, 1992, pp. 1–9.
- D. Johnson, Approximation algorithms for combinatorial problems, Journal of computer and System Science 9 (1974) 256–298.
- M. Goemans, D. Williamson, A new 3/4-approximation algorithm for MAXSAT, Third Conference on Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization, 1993, pp. 313–321.
- L. Lovász, On the ratio of optimal integral and fractional covers, Discrete Mathematics 13 (1975) 383–390.
- V. Chvátal, A greedy heuristic for the set covering, Mathematics of Operations Research 4 (1979) 233–235.
- H. Bronnimann, M.T. Goodrich, Almost optimal set covers in finite VC-dimension, Proceedings of the 10th ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, 1994, pp. 293–302.
- N. Alon, J. Spencer, The Probabilistic Method., Wiley, New York, 1992.
- N. Hall, D. Hochbaum, A fast approximation algorithm for the multicovering problem, Discrete Applied Mathematics 15 (1989) 35–40.
- D. Hochbaum, Approximation algorithms for set covering and vertex cover problems, SIAM Journal on Computing 11 (1982) 555–556.
- E. Balas, A sharp bound on the relation between optimal integer and fractional covers, Mathematics of Operations Research 9 (1984) 1–7.
- R. Bar Yehuda, S. Even, A linear time approximation algorithm for the weighted vertex cover problem, Journal of Algorithms (1981) 198–206.
- G. Dobson, Worst-case analysis of greedy heuristics for integer programming with nonnegative data, Mathematics of Operations Research 7 (1982) 515–531.
- M. Fisher, L. Wolsey, On the greedy Heuristic for covering and packing problems, SIAM Journal on Algebraic and Discrete Methods 3 (1982) 584–591.
- D. Angluin, L.G. Valiant, Fast probabilistic algorithms for Hamiltonian circuits and matchings, Journal of Computer System Science 18 (1979) 155–193.
- D. Hochbaum, Heuristics for the fixed cost median problem, Mathematical Programming 22 (1982) 148–162.
- B. Bollobas, Random Graphs, Academic Press, London, 1985.
- N. Alon, On network reliability, 1993 (Preprint).
- H. Gabow, M. Goemans, D. Williamson, (1993). An efficient approximation algorithm for the survivable network Design Problem, Third Conference on Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization, 1993, pp. 57–74.
- J. Rhys, A selection problem of shared fixed costs and network flows, Management Science 17 (1970) 200–207.
- C. Papadimitriou, M. Yannakakis, Optimization, approximation and complexity classes, Journal of Computer and System Science 43 (1991) 425–440.
- S. Rajagopalan, V.V. Vazirani, Primal-dual RNC approximation algorithms for (multi)-set (multi)-cover and covering integer programs, Proceedings of the 33rd IEEE Conference on the Foundations of Computer Science, 1993, pp. 293–302.
- Rounding algorithms for covering problems
Volume 80, Issue 1 , pp 63-89
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors