Liquid water and the origin of life
- André Brack
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Liquid water has many peculiarities which confer special properties. The most important among them probably are the ability to establish hydrogen bonds, a high polarity and a high dielectric constant. In the presence of liquid water, large organic molecules have to manage the conflict between hydrophobic groups and hydrophilic groups. This duality can generate interesting prebiotic situations such as the stereoselective aggregation of short peptide sequences of alternating hydrophobic — hydrophilic residues into thermostable β-sheets endowed with chemical acrivity. Liquid water is also a powerful hydrolytic agent. As such, it allows pathways which would have few chances to occur in an organic solvent.
- Anderson, G. W. and Paul, R.: 1958,J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 80, 4423.
- Barbier, B. and Brack, A.: 1988,J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 110, 6880–6882.
- Barbier, B. and Brack, A.: 1992,J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 114, 3511–3515.
- Bonner, W. A., Blair, N. E., and Dirbas, F. M.: 1981,Origins of Life 11, 119–134.
- Brack, A.: 1982,BioSystems 15, 201–207.
- Brack, A.: 1987,Origins of Life 17, 367–379.
- Brack, A. and Barbier, B.: 1990,Origins of Life 20, 139–144.
- Brack, A. and Orgel, L. E.: 1975,Nature 256, 383–387.
- Brack, A. and Spach, G.: 1979a,J. Mol. Evol. 13, 35–46.
- Brack, A. and Spach, G.: 1979b,J. Mol. Evol. 15, 231–238.
- Brack, A. and Spach, G.: 1981a Y. Wolman (ed.),Origins of Life, Kluwer Acad. Publ., pp. 487–493.
- Brack, A. and Spach, G.: 1981b,Origins of Life 11, 135–142.
- Brack, A. and Spach, G.: 1981c,J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 103, 6319–6323.
- Ehler, K. W. and Orgel, L. E.: 1976,Biochim. Biophys. Acta 434, 233–243.
- Gottikh, B. P., Krayevsky, A. A., Tarussova, N. B., Purygin, P. P., and Tsilevich, T. L.: 1970,Tetrahedron 26, 4419–4433.
- Paul, R. and Anderson, G. W.: 1960,J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 82, 4596–4600.
- Spach, G. and Brack, A.: 1979,J. Mol. Evol. 13, 47–56.
- Weber, A. L. and Lacey, Jr., J.C.: 1974,Biochim. Biophys. Acta 349, 226–234.
- Liquid water and the origin of life
Origins of life and evolution of the biosphere
Volume 23, Issue 1 , pp 3-10
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- André Brack (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre de Biophysique Moléculaire, C.N.R.S., 1A, Avenue de la Recherche Scientifique, 45071, Orléans Cedex 2, France