Growth of acetotrophic, methane-producing bacteria in a pH auxostat
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Three acetotrophicMethanosarcina species, which included marine, nonmarine, and thermophilic strains, were grown on acetate in a 10-liter pH auxostat. Specific growth rates and molar growth yields were constant throughout growth. Cell yields were up to 18-fold greater than previously reported. These properties of the pH auxostat indicate that it is a preferred culture method for the biochemical study of methanogenesis from acetate.
- Baresi, L., Wolfe, R. S. 1981. Levels of coenzyme F420, coenzyme M, hydrogenase, and methyl-coenzyme M methylreductase in acetate-grownMethanosarcina. Applied and Environmental Microbiology41:388–391.
- Blaut, M., Gottschalk, G. 1982. Effect of trimethylamine on acetate utilization byMethanosarcina barkeri. Archives of Microbiology133:230–235.
- Bryant, M. P. 1972. Commentary on Hungate technique for culture of anaerobic bacteria. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition25:1324–1328.
- Huser, B. A., Wuhrmann, K., Zehnder, A. J. B. 1982.Methanothrix soehngenii gen. nov. sp. nov., a new acetotrophic non-hydrogen-oxidizing methane bacterium. Archives of Microbiology132:1–9.
- Hutten, T. J., Bongaerts, H. C. M., Van der Drift, C., Vogels, G. D. 1980. Acetate, methanol, and carbon dioxide as substrates for growth ofMethanosarcina barkeri. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek Journal of Microbiology and Serology46:601–610.
- Hutten, T. J., De Jong, M. H., Peeters, B. P. H., Van der Driff, C., Vogels, G. D. 1981. Coenzyme M derivatives and their effects on methane formation from carbon dioxide and methanol by cell extracts ofMethanosarcina barkeri. Journal of Bacteriology145:27–34.
- Kohler, H.-P. E., Zehnder, A. J. B. 1984. Carbon monoxide dehydrogenase and acetate thiokinase inMethanothrix soehgenii. FEMS Microbiology Letters21:287–292.
- Krzycki, J. A., Wolkin, R. H., Zeikus, J. G. 1982. Comparison of unitrophic and mixotrophic substrate metabolism by an acetate-adapted strain ofMethanosarcina barkeri. Journal of Bacteriology149:247–254.
- Mah, R. A., Smith, M. R., Baresi, L. 1978. Studies on an acetate-fermenting strain ofMethanosarcina. Applied and Environmental Microbiology35:1174–1184.
- Mah, R. A., Smith, M. R., Ferguson, T., Zinder, S. 1981. Methanogenesis from H2-CO2, methanol, and acetate byMethanosarcina pp. 131–142. In Dalton, H. (ed.), Microbial growth on C-1 compounds. London: Heyden and Son.
- Martin, G. A., Hempfling, W. P. 1976. A method for the regulation of microbial population density during continuous culture at high growth rates. Archives of Microbiology107:41–47.
- Schauer, N. L., Ferry, J. G. 1980. Metabolism of formate inMethanobacterium formicicum. Journal of Bacteriology142:800–807.
- Schönheit, P., Kristjansson, J. K., Thauer, R. K. 1982. Kinetic mechanism for the ability of sulfate reducers to out-compete methanogens for acetate. Archives of Microbiology132:285–288.
- Smith, M. R., Mah, R. A. 1978. Growth and methanogenesis byMethanosarcina strain 227 on acetate and methanol. Applied and Environmental Microbiology36:870–879.
- Smith, M. R., Mah, R. A. 1980. Acetate as a sole carbon and energy source for growth ofMethanosarcina strain 227. Applied and Environmental Microbiology39:992–999.
- Sowers, K. R., Baron, S. F., Ferry, J. G. 1984.Methanosarcina acetivorans, sp. nov., an acetotrophic methane-producing bacterium isolated from marine sediments. Applied and Environmental Microbiology47:971–978
- Sowers K. R., Johnson, J. L., Ferry, J. G. In press. Phylogenetic relationships among the methylotrophic methane-producing bacteria and emendation of the familyMethanosarcinaceae. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology.
- Thauer, T., Jungermann, K., Decker, K. 1977. Energy conservation in chemotrophic anaerobic bacteria. Bacteriological Reviews41:100–180.
- Walther, R., Fiebig, K., Fahlbusch, K., Caspari, D., Hippe, H., Gottschalk, G. 1981. Growth of methanogens on methylamines. pp. 146–151. In: Dalton, H. (ed.), Microbial growth on C-1 compounds. London: Heyden and Son.
- Weimer, P. J., Zeikus, J. G. 1978. Acetate metabolism inMethanosarcina barkeri. Archives of Microbiology119:175–182.
- Wolin, E. A., Wolin, M. J., Wolfe, R. S. 1963. Formation of methane by bacterial extracts. Journal of Biological Chemistry238:2882–2886.
- Zinder, S. H., Mah, R. A. 1979. Isolation and characterization of a thermophilic strain ofMethanosarcina unable to use H2−CO2 for methanogenesis. Applied and Environmental Microbiology38:996–1008.
- Growth of acetotrophic, methane-producing bacteria in a pH auxostat
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 227-229
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors