Mapping and organization of highly-repeated DNA sequences by means of simultaneous and sequential FISH and C-banding in 6×-triticale
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Three families of highly repeated sequences from rye and the rRNA multigenes (NOR and 5S) have been mapped by FISH and C-banding, in chromosomes of triticale. The pSc119.2 probe showed interstitial hybridization in chromosome arms 1RS, 1RL, 4RL, 5RL, 6RS, 6RL, 7RS and 7RL, and is very effective for chromosome identification of rye chromosomes in triticale. This sequence also hybridizes to the 4A, 5A and the seven B-genome wheat chromosomes. Simultaneous hybridization with the pSc119.2 and pTa794 (5S rRNA) is very useful to distinguish the metacentric chromosomes 2R and 3R. The pSc74 probe appears at interstitial sites in the long arm of the most heterobrachial chromosomes (5R and 6R). The three repetitive sequences of 120 bp, 480 bp, and 610 bp hybridize to telomeric regions in rye chromosomes. Different arrangements and complex organizations consisting of arrays of three or more family sequences were found. The results demonstrate a great variation in the relative arrangement of the repetitive sequences in the telomeres of the rye chromosomes. There were quantitative differences in each cytological marker between triticale lines in bothin situ labelling and C-banding, probably as the result of differences in the number and/or kind of repeat sequence.
- Appels R, Driscoll C, Peacock WJ (1978) Heterochromatin and highly repeated DNA sequences in rye (Secale cereale L.).Chromosoma 70: 67–89.
- Appels R, Dennis ES, Smith DR, Peacock WJ (1981) Two repeated DNA sequences from the heterochromatic regions of rye (Secale cereale) chromosomes.Chromosoma 84: 265–277.
- Appels R, Gustafson JP, May CE (1982) Structural variation in the heterochromatin of rye chromosomes in triticale.Theor Appl Genet 63: 235–244.
- Appels R, Moran LB (1984) Molecular analysis of alien chromatin introduced into wheat.Stadler Genet Symp 16: 529–557.
- Appels R, Moran LB, Gustafson JP (1986) Rye heterochromatin. I. Studies on clusters of the major repeating sequence and the identification of a new dispersed repetitive sequence element.Can J Genet Cytol 28: 645–657.
- Badaeva ED, Badaev NS, Bolsheva NL, Zelenin AV (1986) Chromosome alterations in the karyotype of triticale in comparison with the parental forms. I. Heterochromatin regions of R genome chromosomes.Theor Appl Genet 72: 518–523.
- Bedbrook JR, Jones J, O'Neil, M, Thompson RD, Flavell RB (1980) Molecular characterization of telomeric heterochromatin inSecale species.Cell 19: 545–560.
- Darvey NL, Gustafson JP (1975) Identification of rye chromosomes in wheat—rye addition lines and triticales by heterochromatin bands.Crop Sci 15: 239–243.
- Gerlach WL, Bedbrook JR (1979) Cloning and characterization of ribosomal RNA genes from wheat and barley.Nucleic Acids Res 7: 1869–1885.
- Gerlach WL, Dyer TA (1980) Sequence organization of the repeating units in the nucleus of wheat that contain 5S rRNA genes.Nucleic Acids Res 8: 4851–4865.
- Gill BS (1987) Chromosome banding methods, standard chromosome band nomenclature and applications in cytogenetic analysis. In: Heyne EG, ed,Wheat and Wheat Improvement, Madison, Wisconsin, Am Soc Agron, pp. 243–254.
- Giraldez R, Cermeño MC, Orellana J (1979) Comparison of C-banding pattern in the chromosomes of inbred lines and open pollinated varieties of rye.Z. Pflanzenzüchtg 83: 40–48.
- Heslop-Harrison JS, Schwarzacher T, Anamthawat-Jónsson K, Leitch AR, Shi M, Leitch IJ (1991)In situ hybridization with automated chromosome denaturation.Technique—J Meth Cell Mol Biol 3: 109–116.
- Jones JDG, Flavell RB (1982a) The mapping of highly-repeated DNA families and their relationships to C-bands in chromosomes ofSecale cereale.Chromosoma 86: 595–612.
- Jones JDG, Flavell RB (1982b) The structure, amount and chromosomal localization of defined repeated DNA sequences in species of the genusSecale.Chromosoma 86: 613–641.
- Jouve N, Galindo C, Mesta Met al. (1989) Changes in triticale heterochromatin visualized by C-banding.Genome,32: 735–742.
- Lapitan NLV, Sears RG, Gill BS (1988) Amplification of repeated DNA sequences in wheat × rye hybrids regenerated from tissue culture.Theor Appl Genet 75: 381–388.
- Leitch IJ, Leitch AR, Heslop-Harrison JS (1991) Physical mapping of plant DNA sequences by simultaneous in situ hybridization of two different fluorescent probes.Genome 34: 329–333.
- Leitch IJ, Heslop-Harrison JS (1993) Physical mapping of four sites of 5S rDNA sequences and one site of the α-amylase-2 gene in barley (Hordeum vulgare).Genome 36: 517–523.
- Lelley T, Josifek K, Kaltsikes PJ (1978) Polymorphism in the Giemsa C-banding pattern of rye chromosomes.Can J Genet Cytol 20: 307–312.
- Lukaszewski A, Gustafson JP (1983) Translocation and modifications of chromosomes in triticale × wheat hybrids.Theor Appl Genet 64: 239–248.
- McIntyre CL, Pereira S, Moran LB, Appels R (1990) NewSecale cereale (rye) DNA derivatives for the detection of rye chromosome segments in wheat.Genome 33: 635–640.
- Mukai Y, Endo TR, Gill BS (1990) Physical mapping of the 5S rRNA multigene family in common wheat.J Heredity 81: 290–295.
- Mukai Y, Endo TR, Gill BS (1991) Physical mapping of the 18S.26S rRNA multigene family in common wheat: identification of a new locus.Chromosoma 100: 71–78.
- Mukai Y, Friebe B, Gill BS (1992) Comparison of C-banding patterns andin situ hybridization sites using highly repetitive and total genomic rye DNA probes of Imperial rye chromosomes added to Chinese Spring wheat.Jap J Genet 67: 71–83.
- Mukai Y, Nakahara, Y, Yamamoto M (1993) Simultaneous discrimination of the three genomes in hexaploid wheat by multicolor fluorescencein situ hybridization using total genomic and highly repeated DNA probes.Genome 36: 489–494.
- Rayburn AL, Gill BS (1985) Use of biotin-labelled probes to map specific DNA sequences on wheat chromosomes.J Heredity 76: 78–81.
- Rayburn AL, Gill BS (1987) Isolation of a D-genome specific repeated DNA sequence fromAegilops squarrosa.Plant Mol Biol Rep 4: 102–109.
- Reddy P, Appels R (1989) A second locus for the 5S multigene family inSecale L., sequence divergence in two lineages of the family.Genome 32: 456–467.
- Sarma NP, Natarajan AT (1973) Identification of heterochromatin regions in the chromosomes of rye.Hereditas 74: 233–238.
- Schwarzacher T, Leitch AR, Bennett MD, Heslop-Harrison JS. (1989)In situ localization of parental genomes in a wide hybrid.Ann Bot 64: 315–324.
- Sybenga J (1983) Rye chromosome nomenclature and homoeology relationships.Z Pflanzenzüchtg 90: 297–304.
- Trask BJ (1991) Fluorescencein situ hybridization.Trends Genet 7: 149–154.
- Mapping and organization of highly-repeated DNA sequences by means of simultaneous and sequential FISH and C-banding in 6×-triticale
Volume 2, Issue 4 , pp 331-338
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Fluorescencein situ hybridization
- repetitive DNA
- Secale cereale
- Industry Sectors