What types of men are most attractive and most repulsive to women?
- Stephan DesrochersAffiliated withCalifornia State University
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study investigated the effect of gender role related characteristics in men on romantic and platonic attraction in women. Ninety-six female college students (approximately 70% Caucasian; 20% Mexican American; and 10% African American) were given a booklet containing descriptions of stimulus males. Feminine males were preferred as friends and romantic partners over masculine males. Feminine and masculine males were more attractive as friends than as dates. Income and occupational status did not affect platonic attraction, and occupational status did not affect romantic attraction. Income had a positive effect on romantic attraction only for those participants who were presented with males having socially desirable personality traits, suggesting that college women only consider men's income after personality criteria have been met.
- What types of men are most attractive and most repulsive to women?
Volume 32, Issue 5-6 , pp 375-391
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. California State University, San Bernardino, USA