Measurement of sexual arousal in male homosexuals: Effects of instructions and stimulus modality
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Erections were measured in 20 male homosexual subjects under three instructional conditions and within three stimulus modalities. The three conditions were arousal (e.g., imagine yourself involved and get aroused), suppression (e.g., imagine yourself involved but suppress erection responses), and rearousal (e.g., imagine yourself involved and get aroused). The three stimulus modalities studied were video tapes, slides or pictures, and audio tapes of homosexual cues. The results show that video tape generates the highest level of arousal, audio tape the lowest level of arousal, and slides an intermediate level. Both video tape and slides show substantial voluntary suppression effects. During suppression, video tape continues to elicit relatively high levels of arousal in contrast to slides and audio tapes, which are equally low.
- Abel, G. G., Levis, D. J., and Clancy, J. (1970). Aversion therapy applied to taped sequences of deviant behavior in exhibitionism and other sexual deviations: A preliminary report.J. Behav. Ther. Exp. Psychiat. 1(1): 59–66.
- Bancroft, J., Jones, H., and Pullman, B. (1966). A simple transducer for measuring penile erection with comments on its use in the treatment of sexual disorders.Behav. Res. Ther. 4: 239–241.
- Barlow, D. H., Becker, R., Leitenberg, H., and Agras, W. S. (1970). Mechanical strain gauge recording penile circumference change.J. Appl. Behav. Anal. 3: 73–76.
- Davison, G. (1968). Elimination of a sadistic fantasy by a client-controlled counterconditioning technique.J. Abnorm. Psychol. 73: 84–90.
- Evans, D. R. (1968). Masturbatory fantasy and sexual deviation.Behav. Res. Ther. 6: 17–19.
- Feldman, M. P., and MacCulloch, M. J. (1971).Homosexual Behavior: Theory and Assessment Pergamon Press, Oxford.
- Freund, K. (1963). A laboratory method for diagnosing predominance of homo- or heteroerotic interest in the male.Behav. Res. Ther. 1: 85–93.
- Henson, D. E., and Rubin, H. H. (1971). Voluntary control of eroticism.J. Appl. Behav. Anal. 4: 37–44.
- Herman, S. H., Barlow, D. H., and Agras, W. S. (1971). Exposure to heterosexual stimuli: An effective variable in treating homosexuality? InProceedings of the 79th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, American Psychological Association, pp. 699–700.
- Laws, D. R., and Rubin, H. H. (1969). Instructional control of an autonomic sexual response.J. Appl. Behav. Anal. 2: 93–99.
- Marks, I. M., and Gelder, M. G. (1967). Transvestism and fetishism: Clinical and psychological changes during faradic aversion.Brit. J. Psychiat. 113: 711–729.
- McConaghy, N. (1967). Penile volume change to moving pictures of male and female nudes in heterosexual and homosexual males.Behav. Res. Ther. 5: 43–48.
- McConaghy, N. (1969). Subjective and penile plethysmograph responses following aversion relief and apomorphine aversion therapy for homosexual impulses.Brit. J. Psychiat. 115: 723–730.
- McGuire, R. J., and Vallance, M. (1964). Aversion therapy by electric shock: A simple technique.Brit. Med. J. 1: 151–153.
- Thorpe, J. G., Schmidt, E., and Castell, D. (1963). A comparison of positive and negative (aversive) conditioning in the treatment of homosexuality.Behav. Res. Ther. 1: 357–362.
- Thorpe, J. G., Schmidt, E., Brown, T. T., and Castell, D. (1964). Aversion-relief therapy: A new method for general application.Behav. Res. Ther. 2: 71–82.
- Zuckerman, M. (1971). Physiological measures of sexual arousal in the human.Psychol. Bull. 75: 297–329.
- Measurement of sexual arousal in male homosexuals: Effects of instructions and stimulus modality
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 4, Issue 6 , pp 623-629
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sexual arousal
- penile erections
- Industry Sectors