College students' judgments regarding sexual aggression during a date
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Effects of level of resistance and type of sexual behavior on judgments regarding sexual aggression on a date were studied. Participants were 138 female and 57 male college students who read one of six vignettes (three levels of resistance × two types of sexual behavior) describing a date in which unwanted sexual behavior occurred. Gender-neutral names (Chris and Pat) were used in the vignettes, and sex of aggressor and victim was not specified. Participants completed identical scales describing degree of disapproval of the aggressor's behavior from three different perspectives: their own viewpoint (Participant Rating), the victim's viewpoint (Victim Rating), and the aggressor's viewpoint (Aggressor Rating). Both Participant and Victim Ratings showed significant differences between levels of resistance, and significant but smaller differences due to participant gender. Participant ratings showed a significant but small difference between types of sexual behavior. The aggressor's overall behavior was labeled as date/acquaintance rape by 52.9% of participants for the vignette involving physical resistance and intercourse.
- Bechhofer, L., & Parrot, A. (1991). What is acquaintance rape? In A. Parrot & L. Bechhofer (Eds.),Acquaintance rape: The hidden crime. New York: Wiley.
- Berkowitz, A. (1992). College men as perpetrators of acquaintance rape and sexual assault: A review of the recent research.Journal of American College Health, 40, 175–181.
- Bostwick, T. D., & Delucia, J. L. (1992). Effects of gender and specific dating behaviors on perceptions of sex willingness and date rape.Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 11, 14–25.
- Burt, M. R., & Albin, R. S. (1981). Rape myths, rape definitions, and probability of conviction.Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 11, 212–230.
- Cornett, M. B., & Shuntich, R. (1991). Sexual aggression: Perceptions of its likelihood of occurring and some correlates of self admitted perpetration.Perceptual and Motor Skills, 73, 499–507.
- Donat, P. L. N., & D'Emilio, J. (1992). A feminist redefinition of rape and sexual assault: Historical foundations and change.Journal of Social Issues, 48, 9–22.
- Koss, M. P., & Gidycz, C. A. (1985). Sexual experiences survey: Reliability and validity.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 53, 422–423.
- Koss, M. P., Gidycz, C. A., & Wisniewski, N. (1987). The scope of rape: Incidence and prevalence of sexual aggression and victimization in a national sample of higher education students.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 55 162–170.
- Koss, M. P., & Oros, C. J. (1982). Sexual experiences survey: A research instrument investigating sexual aggression and victimization.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 50, 455–457.
- Muehlenhard, C. L. (1988). Misinterpreted dating behaviors and the risk of date rape.Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 6, 20–37.
- Muehlenhard, C. L., Friedman, D. E., & Thomas, C. M. (1985). Is date rape justifiable? The effects of dating activity, who initiated, who paid, and men's attitudes toward women.Psychology of Women Quarterly, 9, 297–310.
- Muehlenhard, C. L., Harney, P. A., & Jones, J. M. (1992). From “victim-precipitated rape” to “date rape”: How far have we come? In J. Bancroft, C. Davis, & H. Ruppel (Eds.),Annual review of sex research: An integrative and interdisciplinary review (Vol. 3). Lake Mills, IA: Society for the Scientific Study for Sex.
- Muehlenhard, C. L., Powch, I. G., Phelps, J. L., & Giusti, L. M. (1992). Definitions of rape: Scientific and political implications.Journal of Social Issues, 48, 23–44.
- Shotland, R. L., & Goodstein, L. (1983). Just because she doesn't want to doesn't mean its rape: An experimentally based causal model of the perception of rape in a dating situation.Social Psychology Quarterly, 46, 220–232.
- Struckman-Johnson, C. (1991). Male victims of acquaintance rape. In A. Parrot & L. Bechhofer (Eds.),Acquaintance rape: The hidden crime. New York: Wiley.
- Struckman-Johnson, C., & Struckman-Johnson, D. (1994). Men pressured and forced into sexual experience.Archives of Sexual Behavior, 23 93–114.
- College students' judgments regarding sexual aggression during a date
Volume 35, Issue 11-12 , pp 765-780
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors