Male sexual arousal across five modes of erotic stimulation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Penile circumference changes and subjective sexual arousal were recorded when erotic material depicting the same sequence of events was experienced in five different modes: film, slides, spoken-text, written-text, and fantasy. Twenty-four men were tested within a repeated-measures design, with the order of presentation of modes counterbalanced across subjects. Sessions were separated by 24 hr or more. The highest levels of physiological and subjective arousal were found for film, while fantasy produced the lowest level of arousal. Slides, spoken-text, and written-text elicited intermediate levels of arousal, and these three conditions were equally potent. Factors relating to mode differences in arousal to erotic stimulation are discussed.
- Abel, G. G., and Blanchard, E. B. (1976). The measurement and generation of sexual arousal in male sexual deviates. In Hersen, M., Eisler, R., and Miller, R. M. (eds.),Progress in Behavior Modification, Vol. 2, Academic Press, New York, pp. 99–133.
- Abel, G. C., Barlow, D. H., Blanchard, E. B., and Mavissakalian, M. (1975a). Measurement of sexual arousal in male homosexuals: The effects of instructions and stimulus modality.Arch. Sex. Behav. 4: 623–629.
- Abel, G. G., Blanchard, E. B., Barlow, D. H., and Mavissakalian, M. (1975b). Identifying specific erotic cues in sexual deviations by audiotaped descriptions.J. Appl. Behav. Anal. 8: 247–260.
- Abelson, H., Cohen, R., Heaton, E., and Suder, C. (1970). Public attitudes toward and experience with erotic materials. InTechnical Reports of the Committee on Obscenity and Pornography, Vol. 8, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC.
- Bancroft, J. H., Jones, H. C., and Pullan, B. R. (1966). A single transducer for measuring penile erection, with comments on its use in the treatment of sexual disorders.Behav. Res. Ther. 4: 239–241.
- Bancroft, J., and Mathews, A. (1971). Autonomic correlates of penile erection.J. Psychosom. Res. 15: 159–167.
- Bentler, P. M. (1968). Heterosexual behavior assessment—1.Males. Behav. Res. Ther. 6: 21–25.
- Byrne, D., and Lamberth, J. (1970). The effect of erotic stimuli on sex arousal evaluative responses and subsequent behavior. InTechnical Reports of the Committee on Obscenity and Pornography, Vol. 8, U.S. Government Priniting Office, Washington, DC.
- Campagna, A. F. (1976). Normative and functional aspects of young men's masturbation fantasies. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Yale University.
- Carroll, D., Baker, J., and Preston, M. (1979). Individual differences in visual imagery and the voluntary control of heart rate.Brit. J. Psychol. 70: 39–49.
- Cook, R. F., Fosen, R. H., and Pacht, P. (1971). Pornography and the sex offender: Patterns of previous exposure and arousal effects of pornographic stimuli.J. Appl. Psychol. 55: 503–571.
- Dekker, J., Everaerd, W., and Verhelst, N. (1985). Attending to stimuli or to images of sexual feelings: Effects on sexual arousal.Behav. Res. Ther. 23: 139–149.
- Drummond, P., White, K., and Ashton, R. (1978). Imagery vividness affects habituation rate.Psychophysiology 15: 193–195.
- Freund, K., Langevin, R., and Zajac, Y. (1974). A note on the erotic arousal value of moving and stationary human forms.Behav. Res. Ther. 12: 117–119.
- Freund, K., Scher, H., Racansky, I. G., Campbell, K., and Heasman, G. (1986). Males disposed to commit rape.Arch. Sex. Behav. 15: 23–35.
- Fuhr, R. (1976). Facilitation of sexual arousal through imagery. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, State University of New York at Stony Brook.
- Geer, J. H., and Fuhr, R. (1976). Cognitive factors in sexual arousal: The role of distraction.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 44: 238–243.
- Harris, R., Yulis, S., and LaCosts, D. (1980). Relationships among sexual arousability, imagery ability, and introversion-extroversion.J. Sex Res. 16: 72–86.
- Julien, E., and Over, R. (1981). Male sexual arousal and the law of initial value.Psychophysiology 18: 709–711.
- Julien, E., and Over, R. (1984). Male sexual arousal with repeated exposure to erotic stimuli.Arch. Sex. Behav. 13: 211–222.
- Kinsey, A. C., Pomeroy, W. B., and Martin, C. E. (1948).Sexual Behavior in the Human Male Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Kolarsky, A., and Madlafousek, J. (1972). Female behavior and sexual arousal in heterosexual male deviant offenders.J. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 155: 110–118.
- Levitt, E. E., and Hinesley, R. K. (1967). Some factors in the valences of erotic visual stimuli.J. Sex Res. 3: 63–68.
- Mann, J. (1970). The experimental induction of human sexual arousal. InTechnical Reports of the Commission on Obscenity and Pornography, Vol. 1, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC.
- McConaghy, N. (1974). Penile volume responses to moving and still pictures of male and female nudes.Arch. Sex. Behav. 3: 565–570.
- Report of the Effects Panel to the Commission on Obscenity and Pornography. (1970). InThe Report of the Commission on Obscenity and Pornography, Part II. The Impact of Erotica, Bantam, New York.
- Reifler, C. B., Howard, J., Lipton, M. A., Liptzin, M. B., and Widmann, D. E. (1971). Pornography: An experimental study of effects.Am. J. Psychiat. 128: 575–582.
- Sandford, D. A. (1974). Patterns of sexual arousal in heterosexual males.J. Sex Res. 10: 150–155.
- Smith, D., and Over, R. (1987). Correlates of fantasy-induced and film-induced male sexual arousal.Arch. Sex. Behav. 16: 395–409.
- Steinman, D. L., Wincze, J. B., Sakheim, D. K., Barlow, D. H., and Mavissakalian, M. (1981). A comparison of male and female patterns of sexual arousal.Arch. Sex. Behav. 10: 529–547.
- Tannenbaum, P. A. (1970). Emotional arousal as a mediator of communication effects. InTechnical Reports of the Commission on Obscenity and Pornography, Vol. 8, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC.
- White, K. D. (1978). Salivation: The significance of imagery in its voluntary control.Psychophysiology 15: 196–203.
- Wilson, G. T., and Lawson, D. M. (1976). Expectancies, alcohol, and sexual arousal in male social drinkers.J. Abn. Psychol. 85: 587–594.
- Male sexual arousal across five modes of erotic stimulation
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 17, Issue 2 , pp 131-143
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- male sexual arousal
- penile tumescence
- erotic stimulation
- modality differences
- Industry Sectors