A family study of sexual orientation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Unmarried men aged 25–35 were recruited through newspaper and radio advertisements for a family studyof sexual orientation.Fifty predominantly homosexual and 50 predominantly heterosexual men comprised the index subjects. The test, questionnaire, and interview battery is described. Subjects were asked about the sexual orientations of their relatives. The homosexual index men report a significant excess of homosexual brothers and more distant male relatives but not of homosexual sisters or female relatives. Moreover, the percentage of homosexual brothers increases with the Kinsey rating of the index subjects. Overall, about 25% of brothers of homosexual men are reported also to be homosexual.
- Bem, S. L. (1976).The Bem Sex Role Inventory and Scoring Packet. Unpublished manuscript, Stanford University.
- Campbell, D. P. (1977).Manual for the SVIB-SCII: Strong-Campbell Interest Inventory (2nd ed.). Stanford University Press, Stanford, California.
- Derogatis, L. R., Lipman, R. S., Rickels, K. M., Uhlenhuth, E. H., and Covi, L. (1974). The Hopkins Symptom Checklist (HSCL): A measure of primary symptom dimensions. In Pinchot, P. (Ed.),Psychological Measurements in Psychopharmacology Karger, Basel.
- Endicott, J., Andreasen, N., and Spitzer, R. L. (1978).Family History—Research Diagnostic Criteria (3rd ed.). Biometrics Research, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York.
- Gardner, E. A., Miles, G. C., Bahn, A. K., and Romano, J. (1963). All psychiatric experience in a community.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 9: 369–378.
- Gebhard, P. (1972). Incidence of overt homosexuality in the United States and Western Europe. In National Institute of Mental Health-Task Force,Homosexuality: Final Report and Background Papers, DHEW Publication No. (HMS) 72–9116.
- Gough, H. G. (1972).Manual for the Personal Values Abstract (A Derivative of the California Psychological Inventory). Consulting Psychologists Press, Inc., Palo Alto, California.
- Hollingshead, A. B. (1975).Four Factor Index of Social Status. Unpublished manuscript,Male. Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Kinsey, A. C., Pomeroy, W. B., Martin, C. E., and Gebhard, P. (1953).Sexual Behavior in the Human Female. Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Kinsey, A. C., Pomeroy, W. B., and Martin, C. E. (1948).Sexual Behavior in the Human.
- Pillard, R. C., Poumadere, J., and Carretta, R. A. (1981). Is homosexuality familial? A review, some data and a suggestion.Arch. Sex. Behav. 10: 465–475.
- Saghir, M. T., and Robins, E. (1973).Male and Female Homosexuality. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore.
- Spitzer, R. L., and Endicott, J. (1978).Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia—Lifetime Version (3rd ed.). Biometrics Research, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York.
- Spitzer, R. L., Endicott, J., and Robins, E. (1978).Research Diagnostic Criteria (RDC) for a Selected Group of Functional Disorders (3rd ed.). Biometrics Research, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York.
- Thurstone, T. G. (1963).Primary Mental Abilities (Examiners Manual—Revised 1970). Science Research Associates, Chicago.
- Wechsler, D. (1955).Manual for the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale. The Psychological Corp., New York.
- Witkin, H. A., Oltman, P. K., Raskin, E., and Karp, S. A. (1971).A Manual for the Embedded Figures Tests. Consulting Psychologists Press, Inc., Palo Alto, California.
- A family study of sexual orientation
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 11, Issue 6 , pp 511-520
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- family study
- sexual orientation
- Industry Sectors