Adult sexual orientation and attraction to underage persons
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A random sample of 175 males convicted of sexual assault against children was screened with reference to their adult sexual orientation and the sex of their victims. The sample divided fairly evenly into two groups based on whether they were sexually fixated exclusively on children or had regressed from peer relationships. Female children were victimized nearly twice as often as male children. All regressed offenders, whether their victims were male or female children, were heterosexual in their adult orientation. There were no examples of regression to child victims among peer-oriented, homosexual males. The possibility emerges that homosexuality and homosexual pedophilia may be mutually exclusive and that the adult heterosexual male constitutes a greater risk to the underage child than does the adult homosexual male.
- Gebhard, P. H., Gagnon, J. H., Pomeroy, W. B., and Christenson, C. V. (1965).Sex Offenders: An Analysis of Types Hoeber, New York.
- Karpman, B. (1964).The Sexual Offender and His Offenses Julian Press, New York.
- Mohr, J. W., Turner, R. E., and Jerry, M. B. (1964).Pedophilia and Exhibitionism: A Handbook University of Toronto Press, Toronto.
- Adult sexual orientation and attraction to underage persons
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 7, Issue 3 , pp 175-181
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sexual assault
- Industry Sectors