Orgasm in the postoperative transsexual
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The dearth of information regarding orgasm in postoperative transsexuals prompted the authors to study its prevalence. The sample consisted of 14 male-to-female (M—F) and 9 female-to-male (F—M) postoperative transsexuals. The relationship of orgasm to sexual and general satisfaction was explored via a specially designed questionnaire. Orgastic capacity declined in the M—F group and increased in the (F—M) group. Despite the decrease in orgasm in the M—F group, satisfaction with sex and general satisfaction with the results of surgery were high in both groups. General satisfaction of 86% replicates other studies. Frequency of sex increased by 75% in the M—F group and by 100% in the F—M group. A phalloplasty does not appear to be a critical factor in orgasm or in sexual satisfaction. The general conclusion is reached that it is possible to change one's body image and sexual identity and be sexually satisfied despite inadequate sexual functioning.
- Abramowitz, S. (1986). Psychosocial outcomes of sex reassignment surgery.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 54: 183–189.
- Blanchard, R., Steiner, B., Clemmensen, L., and Dickey, R. (1989). Prediction of regrets in post-operative transsexuals.Can. J. Psychiat. 34: 43–45.
- Green, R., and Fleming, D. T. (1990). Transsexual surgery follow-up: Status in the 1990's. In Bancroft, J., Davis, C. M., and Weinstein, D. (eds.),Annual Review of Sex Research, Vol.1, Society for the Scientific Study of Sex, pp. 163–174.
- Lindemalm, G., Korlin, D., and Uddenberg, M. (1986). Long-term follow-up of “sex change” in 13 male to female transsexuals.Arch. Sex. Behav. 15: 187–210.
- Lundstrom, B., Pauly, I., and Walinder, J. (1984). Outcome of sex reassignment surgery.Acta Psychiat. Scand. 70: 289–294.
- Martin, J. (1988). The incidence, frequency and rate of genital satisfaction of sixty-four post-operative male to female transsexuals reported to be experienced during various sexual behaviors: A descriptive study, Ph.D dissertation, The Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality, San Francisco, CA.
- Pauly, I., and Lindgren, T. (1976). Body image and gender identity.J. Homosex. 2: 133–142.
- Pauly, I. (1981). Outcome of sex reassignment surgery for transsexuals.Aust. N. Z. J. Psychiat. 15: 45–51.
- Pauly, I. (1990). Gender identity disorders: Evaluation and treatment,J. Sex Educ. Ther. 16: 2–24.
- Sorensen, T. (1981a). A follow-up study of operated transsexual females.Acta Psychiat. Scand. 64: 50–64.
- Sorensen, T. (1981b). A follow-up study of operated transsexual males.Acta Psychiat. Scand. 63: 486–503.
- Orgasm in the postoperative transsexual
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 22, Issue 2 , pp 145-155
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sexual satisfaction
- outcome studies
- Industry Sectors