The GRISS: A psychometric instrument for the assessment of sexual dysfunction
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Golombok Rust Inventory of Sexual Satisfaction (GRISS) is a short 28-item questionnaire for assessing the existence and severity of sexual problems. The design, construction, and item analysis of the GRISS are described. The two separate male and female scales are shown to have high split-half reliabilities of 0.94 for women and 0.87 for men. Validation of change scores in the GRISS on 30 clinical couples, before and after therapy, showed correlations with therapists' blind ratings of 0.54 (p <0.001)for men and 0.43 (p <0.01)for women. Discriminatory validity between clinical (n =69)and nonclinical (n =59)groups was r =0.63 for women and r =0.37 for men. The 12 subscales of impotence, premature ejaculation, anorgasmia, vaginismus, noncommunication, infrequency, male and female avoidance, male and female nonsensuality, and male and female dissatisfaction are also shown to have good reliability and validity.
- Bancroft, J., Tyrer, J., and Warner, P. (1982). The classification of sexual problems in women.Brit. J. Sex. Med. 9: 30–37.
- Bennun, I., Rust, J., and Golombok, S. (1985). The effects of material therapy on sexual dysfunction.Scand. J. Behav. Ther. 14: 65–72.
- Conte, H. R. (1983). Development and use of Self-Report Techniques for assessing sexual functioning: A review and critique.Arch. Sex. Behav. 12: 555–576.
- Derogatis, L. R., and Melisaratos, N. (1979). The DSFI: A multidimensional measure of sexual functioning.J. Sex. Mar. Therap. 5: 244–281.
- Golombok, S., Rust, J., and Pickard, C. (1985). The prevalence of sexual dysfunction in the general population.Brit. J. Sex. Med. 11: 171–175.
- Harbison, J. J. M., Graham, P., Quinn, J. T., MacAllister, H., and Woodward, R. (1974). A questionnaire measure of sexual interest.Arch. Sex. Behav. 3: 357–366.
- Kinsey, A. C., Pomeroy, W. B., and Martin, C. E. (1948).Sexual Behavior in the Human Male. Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Kinsey, A. C., Pomeroy, W. B., Martin, C. E., and Gebhard, P. (1953).Sexual Behavior in the Human Female. Saunders, Philadelphia.
- LoPiccolo, J., and Steger, J. (1974). The sexual interaction inventory: A new instrument for assessment of sexual dysfunctionArch. Sex. Behav. 3: 585–595.
- Masters, W. H., and Johnson, V. E. (1979).Human Sexual Inadequacy. Churchill, London.
- Rust, J., and Golombok, S. (1983).The Handbook of the Golombok Rust Inventory of Sexual Satisfaction. City Press of Glasgow, Scotland.
- Rust, J., and Golombok, S. (1985a). The Golombok Rust Inventory of Sexual Satisfaction (GRISS).Brit. J. Clin. Psychol. 24: 63–64.
- Rust, J., and Golombok, S. (1985b).The Handbook of the Golombok Rust Inventory of Sexual Satisfaction (2nd ed. N.F.E.R., Winsor, England.
- Thorne, F. C. (1966). The Sex Inventory.J. Clin. Psychol. 22: 367–374.
- The GRISS: A psychometric instrument for the assessment of sexual dysfunction
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 15, Issue 2 , pp 157-165
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sexual dysfunction
- sex therapy
- outcome studies
- Industry Sectors