Enhanced interpretation of nonverbal facial cues in male rapists—a preliminary study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Interpretation of nonverbal cues was tested in 12 white, male, self-admitting rapists. All rapists were being treated for depression and were between the ages of 20 and 31. All victims were female strangers who had been observed in a social setting. The rapists and 12 age- and class-matched male controls viewed 10 male and 10 female volunteers during a specific gambling trial. Rapists were found to be more accurate than controls in interpreting both female and male nonverbal cues. This enhanced ability was hypothesized to be due to pathological expressions of intimacy and sexuality in the rapists' families of origin.
- Binder, R. (1982). Why women don't report sexual assault.J. Clin. Psychiat. 42: 437–438.
- Coleman, E. (1982). Family intimacy and chemical abuse.J. Psychoact. Drugs 14: 153–158.
- Giannini, A. J., and Sangdahl, C. (1985). Enhanced reception of nonverbal communication in male cocaine abusers.Int. J. Psychiat. Med. 15: 41–45.
- Giannini, A. J., Daood, J., Giannini, M. C., and Rhodes, P. G. Intellect versus intuition: a dichotomy in the reception of nonverbal communication.J. Gen. Psychol. 99: 19–25.
- Giannini, A. J., Barringer, M. E., and Giannini, M. C. (1984a). Lack of relationship between handedness and intuitive and intellectual (rationalistic) modes of information processing.J. Gen. Psychol. 111: 31–37.
- Giannini, A. J., DeFrance, D. T., Loiselle, R. H., and Giannini, M. C. (1984b). Reception of nonverbal communication in alcoholics.J. Psychol. 116: 241–244.
- Giannini, A. J., Tamulonis, D., Giannini, M. C., Loiselle, R. H., and Spirtos, G. (1984c). Defective response to nonverbal cues in Mobius syndrome.J. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 172: 174–176.
- Giannini, A. J., Lynch, A. M., Loiselle, R. H., and Giannini, M. C. (in press). Reception of nonverbal communication in victims violent crimes.Convergence.
- Henn, F. (1976). Profiles of two types of sexual offenders.Am. J. Psychiat. 133: 694–695.
- Malamuth, N., and Check, J. (1983). Sexual arousal to rape depiction.J. Abnorm. Psychol. 92: 55–67.
- Miller, J. (1978). Recidivism among sexual assault victims.Am. J. Psychiat. 135: 1103–1104.
- Miller, R. E., Giannini, A. J., and Levine, J. M. (1978). Nonverbal communication in men with a cooperative conditioning task.J. Soc. Psychol. 103: 101–113.
- Rabkin, J. (1979). The epidemiology of forcible rape.Am. J. Orthopsychiat. 49: 634–646.
- Woodling, B. (1981). Sexual misuse: rape, molestation, and incest.Pediatr. Clin. North. Am. 28: 481–499.
- Enhanced interpretation of nonverbal facial cues in male rapists—a preliminary study
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 15, Issue 2 , pp 153-156
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- nonverbal cues
- facial cues
- seductive capabilities
- Industry Sectors