Date rapists: Differential sexual socialization and relative deprivation
- Eugene J. Kanin Ph.D.
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Deviant sexual behavior has often been portrayed as the consequence of the frustration of legitimate sexual outlets. This study of date rapists reveals that these men, as a result of a hypersexual socialization process, are sexually very active, successful, and aspiring. These exaggerated aspiration levels are seen as responsible for instituting a high degree of sexual frustration. This acute relative deprivation, it is hypothesized, is a significant process responsible for precipitating these rape episodes.
- Ageton, S. S. (1983).Sexual Assault among Adolescents. D. C. Heath, Lexington, Massachusetts.
- Anderson, N. (1923).The Hobo. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Barbaree, H. E., Marshall, W. L., and Lanthier, R. D. (1979). Deviant sexual arousal in rapists.Behav. Res. Ther. 17: 215–221.
- Bonger, W. A., (1916).Criminality and Economic Conditions. Little, Brown, Boston.
- Chappell, D., Geis, G., Schafer, S., and Siegel, L. (1977). A comparative study of forcible rape offenses known to the police in Boston and Los Angeles. In Chappel, D., Geis, R., and Geis, G. (eds.),Forcible Rape Columbia University Press, New York.
- Clark, L., and Lewis, D. (1977).Rape: The Price of Coercive Sexuality. The Woman's Press, Toronto.
- Clemmer, D. (1958).The Prison Community. Rinehart and Co., New York.
- Cohen, Y. A. (1961).Social Structure and Personality. Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, New York.
- Cohen, M. L., Garofalo, R. B., Boucher, R. B., and Seghorn, T. (1971). The psychology of rapists.Sem. in Psychiat. 3: 307–327.
- Fishman, J. F. (1934).Sex in Prison. Podell, New York.
- Guttmacher, M. S. (1951).Sex Offenses. Norton, New York.
- Kanin, E. (1967). Reference groups and sex conduct norm violations.Soc. Quart. 8: 495–504.
- Kanin, E. (1984). Date rape: Unofficial criminals and victims.Victimology 9: 95–108.
- Karpman, B. (1954).The Sexual Offender and His Offenses. Julian Press, New York.
- Lockwood, D. (1980).Prison Sexual Violence. Elsevier, New York.
- Polk, K., Adler, C., Bazemore, G., Blake, G., Cordray, S., Coventry, G., Galrin, J., and Temple, M. (1981). Becoming adult: An analysis of motivational development from age 16 to 30 of a cohort of young men.Final Report of the Marion County Youth Survey. University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon.
- Reiss, A. J. (1960). Sex offenses: The marginal status of the adolescent.Law Contemp. Prob. 25: 309–333.
- Sykes, G. (1958).The Society of Captives. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey.
- Thio, A. (1983).Deviant Behavior. Hougton-Mifflin, Boston.
- Wheeler, S. (1960). Sex offenses: A sociological critique.Law Contemp. Prob. 25: 258–278.
- Date rapists: Differential sexual socialization and relative deprivation
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 14, Issue 3 , pp 219-231
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- date rape
- sexual exploitation
- sexual socialization
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Purdue University, 47907, Lafayette, Indiana, USA