The intelligence of rapists
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
IQs of rapists were compared to IQs of nonrapist prisoners convicted of violent crimes and nonrapist prisoners convicted of nonviolent crimes. Subjects were 136 male convicted felons in the Kentucky State Penitentiary. Determination of violent vs. nonviolent crimes other than rape was made upon consultation with a Kentucky Commonwealth Attorney. The results revealed significantly lower IQs for rapists compared to nonrapists convicted of violent crimes and compared to heterogeneous nonrapist convicts. The present research supports the findings of Karacan and co-workers, indicating a general tendency for rapists to have lower IQs than other convicted prisoners.
- Allen, C. (1969).A Textbook of Psychosexual Disorders Oxford University Press, London.
- Gebhard, P., Gagnon, J. H., Pomeroy, W. B., and Christenson, H. T. (1965).Sex Offenders Hoeber, New York.
- Karacan, I., Williams, R. L., Guerrero, M. W., Solis, P. J., Thornby, J. I., and Hursch, C. J. (1974). Nocturnal penile tumescence and sleep of convicted rapists and other prisoners.Arch. Sex. Behav. 3: 19–25.
- Perdue, W. C., and Lester, D. (1972). Personality characteristics of rapists.Percept. Motor Skills 35: 514.
- Randell, J. (1973).Sexual Variations Priory Press, London.
- The intelligence of rapists
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 327-329
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- crimes — violent
- crimes — nonviolent
- Industry Sectors