Behavior patterns of child molesters
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Despite intense interest in the problem of child sex abuse, base rates for different offense characteristics are poorly defined. The likelihood of otherwise uncorroborated allegations of sexual abuse could be assessed in light of known frequencies of alleged behaviors, if such were available. This paper reviews the current literature on the topic of the specific behaviors of child molesters, along with other epidemiological characteristics, and provides new data drawn from experience with 229 convicted child molesters.
- American Medical Association. (1985). AMA diagnostic and treatment Guidelines concerning child abuse and neglect.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 254: 769–800.
- Arroyo, W. (1984). Sexual assault of a mother by her preadolescent son.Am. J. Psychiat. 141: 1107–1108.
- Avery-Clark, C., O'Neill, J., and Laws, D. (1981). A comparison of intrafamilial sexual and physical child abuse. In Cook, M., and Howells, K. (eds.),Adult Sexual Interest in Children Academic Press, New York, pp. 3–39.
- Black, C., Pokorny, W., McGill., C., and Harberg, F. (1982). Ano-rectal trauma in children.J. Pediatr. Surg. 17: 501–504.
- Ellerstein, N., and Canaven, J. (1980). Sexual abuse of boys.Am. J. Des. Child. 134: 255–257.
- Erickson, W., Walbek, N., Seely, R., and Luxenburg, M. (in press). Frequency of two point MMPI codes among 403 sex offenders.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol.
- Faust, D. (1984). Sources of Judgement errors. InThe limits of Scientific Reasoning University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, pp. 57–69.
- Finkelhor, D. (1980). Risk factors in the sexual victimization of children.Child Abuse Neglect. 4: 265–273.
- Gaffney, G., Lurie, S., and Berlin, F. (1984). Is there familial transmission of pedophilia?J. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 172: 546–548.
- Gebhard, P. H., Gagnon, J. H., Pomeroy, W. B., and Christenson, C. V. (1965).Sex offenders: An analysis of types Harper Row, New York.
- Groth, N. A., and Birnbaum, H. J. (1978). Adult sexual orientation and attraction to underage persons.Arch. Sex. Behav. 7: 175–181.
- Jaffe, A. Dynneson, L., and ten Bensel, R. (1975). Sexual abuse of children: An epidemiologic study.Am. J. Dis. Child. 129: 689–692.
- Kinsey, A., Pomeroy, W., and Martin, C. (1984).Sexual Behavior in the Human Male W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Kinsey, A., Pomeroy, W., Martin, C., and Gebhard, P. (1953).Sexual Behavior in the Human Female W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp. 116–122.
- Lewis, M., and Sarrel., P. (1969). Some psychological aspects of seduction, incest, and rape in childhood.J. Am. Acad. Child Psychiatr. 8: 606–619.
- Malnic, E. (1985). Bakersfield torn by horror stories of child molesting.Los Angeles Times, 4 August: 3.
- Masters, W., and Johnson, V. (1979).Homosexuality in Perspective Little, Brown, Boston, pp. 84–86.
- Panton, J. (1978). Personality differences between rapists of adults, rapists of children, and nonviolent sexual molesters of female children.Res. Comm. Psychol. Psychiat. Behav. 3: 385–393.
- Peters, J. (1976). Children who are victims of sexual assault and the psychology of offenders.Am. J. Psychother. 30: 398–421.
- Rigert, J., McEnroe, P., and Marcotty, J. (1985). Sex abuse probe called faulty.Minneapolis Star and Tribune, Minneapolis, 13 Febraury: 1.
- Rimza, M., and Niggeman, E. (1982). Medical evaluation of sexually abused children: A review of 311 cases.Pediatrics 69: 8–14.
- Russell, D. (1982). The incidence and prevalence of intrafamilial and extrafamilial sexual abuse of female children.Child Abuse Neglect 7: 133–146.
- Ullman, M. (1981). An MMPI study of the relationship between personality and criminal sexual behavior. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, University of Minnesota. (Diss. Abst. Inter., May 41 (11-8) 42796)
- Walbek, N. (1986).A Decade of Evaluating and Treating Sex Offenders: Program Development and Outcomes 1975–1985 Minnesota Security Hospital, St. Peter, MN.
- Wahl, C. (1960). The Psychodynamics of consumated maternal incest.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 3: 188–193.
- Yates, A. (1982). Children eroticised by incest.Am. J. Psychiat. 138: 482–485.
- Behavior patterns of child molesters
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 17, Issue 1 , pp 77-86
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- child sex abuse
- homosexual pedophilia
- pedophilic behavior
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry, St. Paul Ramsey Medical Center, 640 Jackson Street, 55101, St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
- 2. The Intensive Treatment Program for Sexual Aggressives, Minnesota Security Hospital, 56083, St. Peter, Minnesota, USA