Sexual molestation of men by women
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The belief that it is impossible for males to respond sexually when subjected to sexual molestation by women is contradicted. Previous research indicating that male sex response can occur in a variety of emotional states, including anger and terror, are corroborated. Eleven cases of male sexual molestation by females are classified and described. A post-trauma reaction occurs in which sexual function and psychological state are affected. The men were all personally interviewed. Recognition of this phenomenon should lead to increased identification of male victims as well as to better medical, psychological, and legal services for them.
- Bancroft, J. (1980). Psychophysiology of sexual dysfunction. InHandbook of Biological Psychiatry Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 359–392.
- Bancroft, J., and Matthews, A. (1971). Autonomic correlates of penile erection.J. Psychosom, Res. 15: 159–167.
- Barclay, A. M. (1969). The effect of hostility on psychological and fantasy responses.J. Pers. 37: 651–667.
- Barclay, A. M., and Haber, R. M. (1965). The relation of aggression to sexual motivation.J. Pers. 33: 462–475.
- Burgess, A. W., and Holmstrom, L. L. (1974). Rape trauma syndrome.Amer. J. Psychiat. 131: 981–986.
- Diamond, M., and Karlen, A. (1980).Sexual Decisions. Little, Brown, Boston.
- Edison, R. (1980). The constitutionality of statutory rape laws.U.C.L.A. Law Review 27: 757–815.
- Gantt, H. (1944).The Experimental Bases of Neurotic Behavior. Hoeber, New York.
- Groth, A. N., Burgess, A. W., and Holmstrom, L. L. (1977). Rape: Power, anger and sexuality.Amer. J. Psychiat. 134: 1239–1243.
- Heiman, J. R., and Rowland, D. L. (1980). Affective and physiological patterns of sexual response, an experiential study of functional and dysfunctional males. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Academy of Sex Research.
- Jaffe, Y., Malamuth, N., Feingold, H.,et al. (1974). Sexual arousal and behavioral aggression.J. Pers. Soc. Psychol. 30: 759–764.
- Kinsey, A. C., Pomeroy, W. P., and Martin, C. E. (1948).Sexual Behavior in the Human Male. Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Laws, D. R., and Rubin, H. B. (1969). Instructional control of an autonomic sexual response.J. Appl. Behav. Anal. 2: 93–99.
- Lehfeldt, H. (1952). Unusual “sex crime.”J. Sex Educ. 4: 176.
- Malinowski, B. (1968). Quoted in Leaderer, W.,The Fear of Women Grune & Stratton, New York.
- Sarrel, L. J. (1976). Sex counseling at Yale.Pers. Guid. J. 54: 382–383.
- Sarrel, L. J., and Sarrel, P. M. (1979).Sexual Unfolding: Sexual Development and Sex Therapies in Late Adolescence. Little, Brown, Boston.
- Schiff, A. F. (1980). Examination and treatment of the male rape victim.South. Med. J. 73:
- Stoller, R. (1976). Sexual excitement.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 33: 899–909.
- Zuckerman, M. (1972). Physiological measurements of sexual arousal in the human. InHandbook of Psychophysiology Holt, Rinehart & Winston, New York.
- Sexual molestation of men by women
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 11, Issue 2 , pp 117-131
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sexual molestation
- male rape
- post-rape trauma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, 06510, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
- 2. The Masters and Johnson Institute, 63108, St. Louis, Missouri, USA