Long-term effects of sexual experiences with siblings and nonsiblings during childhood
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Long-term differences in young adults' sexual behavior and adjustment following preadolescent sibling and nonsibling peer childhood sexual experiences were investigated. Questionnaire data were collected from 526 undergraduate college students. Of this sample, 25 (5%) reported having had only a sibling sexual encounter, 61 (12%) reported having had both a sibling and a nonsibling childhood sexual experience, 236 (45%) reported having had only a nonsibling sexual experience, and 204 (39%) reported no sexual experience with another child prior to age 13. No differences were found between the sibling, nonsibling, and no-experience groups on a variety of adult sexual behavior and sexual adjustment measures, including incidence of premarital intercourse, age at first intercourse, number of intercourse partners, sexual satisfaction, sexual arousal, and sexual dysfunctions. It was concluded that adult sexual adjustment is not negatively or positively influenced by typical early childhood sexual experiences among similar-aged siblings.
- Alter-Reid, K., Gibbs, M. S., Lachenmeyer, J. R., Sigal, J., and Massoth, N. A. (1986). Sexual abuse of children: A review of the empirical findings.Clin. Psychol. Rev. 6: 249–266.
- Browne, A., and Finkelhor, D. (1986). Impact of child sexual abuse: A review of the research.Psychol. Bull. 99: 66–77.
- Chambless, D. L., and LifShitz, J. L. (1984). Self-reported sexual anxiety and sexual arousal: The Expanded Sexual Arousability Inventory.J. Sex Res. 20: 241–254.
- Derogatis, L. B., and Melisaratos, N. (1979). The DSFI: A multidimensional measure of sexual functioning.J. Sex Marital Ther. 5: 244–281.
- Elias, J., and Gebhard, P. (1969). Sexuality and sexual learning in childhood.Phi Delta Kappan 50: 401–405.
- Finkelhor, D. (1979).Sexually Victimized Children Free Press, New York.
- Finkelhor, D. (1980). Sex among siblings: A survey on prevalence, variety, side effects.Arch. Sex. Behav. 9: 171–194.
- Greenwald, E. (1987). The long-term effects of preadolescent sibling and nonsibling childhood sexual experiences. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Vermont.
- Hollingshead, A. B. (1975).Four Factor Index of Social Status. Unpublished Manuscript. (Available from A. B. Hollingshead, P.O. Box 1965, Yale Station, New Haven, CT 06520)
- Hoon, E. F. (1978).The Expanded Sexual Arousability Inventory. Unpublished scale available from the author at Box J-165, J.H.M.H.C., University of Florida, Gainsville, FL 32610.
- Hoon, E. F., Hoon, P. W., and Wincze, J. P. (1976). An inventory for the measurement of female sexual arousability: The S.A.I.Arch. Sex. Behav. 5: 291–300.
- Sorrenti-Little, L., Bagley, C., and Robertson, S. (1984). An operational definition of the long-term harmfulness of sexual relations with peers and adults by young children.Can. Child. 9: 46–57.
- Long-term effects of sexual experiences with siblings and nonsiblings during childhood
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 18, Issue 5 , pp 389-399
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sexual development
- Industry Sectors