Childhood cross-gender behavior of homosexual females in Brazil, Peru, the Philippines, and the United States
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Heterosexual and homosexual females were interviewed with regard to childhood cross-gender behavior in Brazil, Peru, the Philippines, and the United States. Nine items were used to examine childhood behavior differences between heterosexual and homosexual females. Six of these items (playing with boys' toys, playing with girls' toys, dressing up in men's clothes, dressing up in women's clothes, paying attention to women's fashions, and being considered a tomboy) revealed statistically significant differences between the heterosexual and homosexual females. These differences demonstrated significant cross-cultural consistency, despite cultural variations among the societies examined. Rejection of certain gender-typical activities and interests, as well as involvement in cross-gendered activities and interests, seem to be consistent precursors of adult sexual orientation regardless of the cultural context in which these behaviors emerge.
- Bell, A. P., Weinberg, M. S., and Hammersmith, S. K. (1981).Sexual Preference: Its Development in Men and Women Indiana University Press, Bloomington.
- Blanchard, R., and Freund, K. (1983). Measuring masculine gender identity in females.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 51: 205–214.
- Grahn, J. (1984).Another Mother Tongue Beacon Press, Boston.
- Green, R. (1974).Sexual Identity Conflict in Children and Adults Basic Books, New York.
- Green, R. (1987).The “Sissy Boy Syndrome” and the Development of Homosexulaity Yale University Press, New Haven.
- Grellert, E. A., Newcomb, M. D., and Bentler, P. M. (1982). Childhood play activities of male and female homosexuals and heterosexuals.Arch. Sex. Behav. 11: 451–479.
- Harry, J. (1982).Gay Children Grown Up: Gender Culture and Gender Deviance Praeger, New York.
- Katz, J. (1976).Gay American History: Lesbians and Gay Men in the USA. Harper & Row, New York.
- Katz, J. (1983).Gay/Lesbians Almanac: A New Documentary Harper & Row, New York.
- Saghir, M. T., and Robins, E. (1973).Male and Female Homosexuality: A Comprehensive Investigation Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore.
- Thompson, N. L., Jr., Schwartz, D. M., McCandless, B. R., and Edwards, D. (1973). Parent-child relationships and sexual identity in male and female homosexuals and heterosexuals.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 41: 120–127.
- Whitam, F. L., and Mathy, R. M. (1986).Male Homosexuality in Four Societies: Brazil, Guatemala, Philippines, and the United States Praeger, New York.
- Zucker, K. J. (1985). Cross-gender identified children. In Steiner, B. W. (ed.),Gender Dysphoria: Development, Research, Management Plenum Press, New York, pp. 75–174.
- Childhood cross-gender behavior of homosexual females in Brazil, Peru, the Philippines, and the United States
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 151-170
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- female homosexuality
- Industry Sectors