The influence of parents, church, and peers on the sexual attitudes and behaviors of college students
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Male and female undergraduate students were surveyed concerning their sexual attitudes, sexual behaviors, and contraceptive behavior. In addition, the general attitudes about sexuality the students perceived as communicated to them by their parents, their church, and their peers were assessed. It was found for female students that general attitudes about sexuality, as defined on an erotophilia-erotophobia dimension, and sexual behaviors were correlated with the perceived attitudes of peers, rather than those of parents and church. However, male students' attitudes and some sexual behaviors were correlated with the perceived attitudes of their parents, rather than the views of their peers and church. Church attitudes were not found to be related to any of the measures. None of the sources of influence, parents, peers, or church attitudes, or erotophilia-erotophobia was related to contraceptive behavior.
- Bell, R. R. (1981).Worlds of Friendship. Sage Publications, Beverly Hills, California.
- Byrne, D., and Fisher, W. A. (1983).Adolescents, Sex, and Contraception. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, New Jersey.
- Fisher, W. A., Byrne, D., Edmonds, M., Miller, C., Kelley, K., and White, L. A. (1979). Psychological and situation-specific correlates of contraceptive behavior among university women.J. Sex Res. 15: 38–55.
- Fisher, W. A., Byrne, D., and White, L. A. (1983). Emotional barriers to contraception. In Byrne, D., and Fisher, W. A. (eds.),Adolescents, Sex and Contraception Erlbaum, Hillsdale, New Jersey, pp. 207–239.
- Gerrard, M. (1977). Sex guilt in abortion patients.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 45: 708.
- Gerrard, M. (1982). Sex, sex guilt, and contraceptive use.J. Pers. Soc. Psychol. 42: 153–158.
- Mosher, D. L. (1968). Measurement of guilt in females by self-report inventories.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 32: 690–695.
- Mosher, D. L., and Cross, H. J. (1971). Sex guilt and premarital sexual experiences of college students.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 36: 27–32.
- White, L. A., Fisher, W. A., Byrne, D., and Kingma, R. (1977). Development and validation of a measure of affective orientation to erotic stimuli: The Sexual Opinion Survey. Paper presented at the meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association, Chicago.
- The influence of parents, church, and peers on the sexual attitudes and behaviors of college students
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 13, Issue 4 , pp 351-359
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sexual attitudes
- sexual behavior
- Industry Sectors