Homosexual orientation in twins: A report on 61 pairs and three triplet sets
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Twin pairs in which at least one twin is homosexual were solicited through announcements in the gay press and personal referrals from 1980 to the present. An 18-page questionnaire on the “sexuality of twins” was filled out by one or both twins. Thirty-eight pairs of monozygotic twins (34 male pairs and 4 female pairs) were found to have a concordance rate of 65.8% for homosexual orientation. Twenty-three pairs of dizygotic twins were found to have a concordance rate of 30.4% for homosexual orientation. In addition, three sets of triplets were obtained. Two sets contained a pair of monozygotic twins concordant for sexual orientation with the third triplet dizygotic and discordant for homosexual orientation. A third triplet set was monozygotic with all three concordant for homosexual orientation. These findings are interpreted as supporting the argument for a biological basis in sexual orientation.
- Bailey, J. M., and Pillard R. C. (1991). A genetic study of male sexual orientation.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 48: 1089–1096.
- Bouchard, T. J., Lykken, D. T., McGue, M., Segal, N. L., and Tellegen, A. (1990). Sources of human psychological differences: The Minnesota study of twins reared apart.Science 250: 223–228.
- Davison, K., Brierley, H., and Smith, C. (1971). A male monozygotic twinship discordant for homosexuality.Br. J. Psychiat. 118: 675–682.
- Diamond, M. (1965). A critical evaluation of the ontogeny of human sexual behavior.Quart. Rev. Biol. 40 147–175.
- Diamond, M. (1976). Human sexual development: Biological foundation for social development. In Beach, F. A. (ed.),Human Sexuality in Four Perspectives Johns Hopkins Press, Baltimore, MD, pp. 22–61.
- Diamond, M. (1979). Sexual identity and sex roles. In Bullough, V. (ed.),The Frontiers of Sex Research Prometheus, Buffalo, NY, pp. 33–56.
- Diamond, M. (1982). Sexual identity, monozygoyic twins reared in discordant sex roles and a BBC follow-up.Arch. Sex. Behav. 11: 181–185.
- Diamond, M. (1993). Homosexuality and bisexuality in different populations.Arch. Sex. Behav. 22(4).
- Diamond, M. (in press). Bisexuality: Biological aspects. In Haeberle, E. J. (ed.),Bisexualities, Walter de Gruyte, Berlin.
- Diamond, M., and Whitam, F. L. (1987). Sexuality of male twins when one or both are homosexuals. Unpublished paper presented at Eighth World Congress for Sexology, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Diamond, M., Whitam, F. L., and Dannemiller, J. E. (1987). Homosexuality in male twins. Unpublished paper presented at the International Academy of Sex Research, Tutzing, Germany.
- Eckert, E. D., Bouchard, T. J., Bohlen, J., and Heston, L. L. (1986). Homosexuality in monozygotic twins reared apart.Br. J. Psychiat. 148: 421–425.
- Friedman, R. C., Wollesen, F., and Tendler, R. (1976). Psychological development and blood levels of sex steroids in male identical twins of divergent sexual orientation.J. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 163: 282–288.
- Green, R., and Stoller, R. J. (1971). Two monozygotic (identical) twin pairs discordant for gender identity.Arch. Sex. Behav. 1: 321–327.
- Heston, L. L. and Shields, J. (1968). Homosexuality in twins.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 18: 149–160.
- Jackson, D. D. (1980). Reunion of identical twins, raised apart, reveals some astonishing similarities.Smithsonian October, pp. 48–56.
- Julian, J. (1973).Social Problems Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Kaij, L. (1960).Alcoholism in Twins Almqvist and Wiksell, Stockholm.
- Kallmann, F. J. (1952). Comparative twin study on the genetic aspects of male homosexuality.J. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 115: 283–298.
- King, M., and McDonald, E. (1992). Homosexuals who are twins: A study of 46 probands.Br. J. Psychiat. 160, 407–409.
- Kinsey, A. C., Pomeroy, W. B., and Martin, C. E. (1948).Sexual Behavior in the Human Male W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Kinsey, A. C., Pomeroy, W. B., Martin, C. E., and Gebhard, P. (1953).Sexual Behavior in the Human Female W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Klerman, G. L. (1978).Long-term treatment of affective disorders. In Lipton, M. A., DiMascio, A., and Killman, K. F. (eds.),Psychopharmacology: A Generation of Progress Raven, New York.
- Klintworth, G. K. (1962). A pair of male monozygotic twins discordant for homosexuality.J. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 135: 113–125.
- Melnick, M., Myrianthopolos, N. C., and Christian, J. C. (1978). The effects of chorion on variation in I.Q. in the NCPP twin population.Am J. Hum. Genet. 30: 425–433.
- Meskinoff, A. I., Rainer, J. D., Kolb, L. C., and Carr, A. C. (1963). Intrafamilial determinants of divergent sexual behavior in twins.Am. J. Psychiat. 119: 732–738.
- Nagylaki, T., and Levy, J. (1973). “Sound of one paw clapping” isn't sound.Behav. Genet. 3: 279–292.
- Nichols, R. C., and Bilbro, W. C. (1966). The diagnosis of twin zygosity.Acta Genet. Statist. Med. 16: 265–275.
- Parker, N. (1964). Homosexuality in twins: A report on three discordant pairs.Br. J. Psychiat. 119: 732–738.
- Perkins, M. W. (1973). Homosexuality in female monozygotic twins.Behav. Genet. 3: 387–388.
- Puterbaugh, G. (1990). Introduction. In Puterbaugh, G. (ed.),Twins and Homosexuality: A Casebook, Garland, New York, pp. xi–xvii.
- Rainer, J. D., Mesnikoff, A., Kolb, L. C., and Carr, A. (1960). Homosexuality and heterosexuality in identical twins.Psycho. Med. 22: 251–259.
- Schlegel, W. W. (1962). Die Konstitutionsbiologischen Grundagen der Homosexualitat.Z. Menschl. Vererb. Konstitutiotnslehre 36: 341–364.
- Whitam, F. L., and Diamond, M. (1985). The sexual orientation of homosexual twins. Unpublished paper presented at International Academy of Sex Research, Seattle.
- Whitam, F. L., and Diamond, M. (1986). A preliminary report on the sexual orientation of homosexual twins. Unpublished paper presented at Scientific Study of Sex, Western Region, Scottsdale, AZ.
- Whitam, F. L., Diamond, M., and Vacha, T. (1988). The sexual fantasies of male homosexual twins. Unpublished paper presented at Society for the Scientific Study of Sex, San Francisco.
- Whitam, F. L., and Mathy, R. M. (1986).Male Homosexuality in Four Societies: Brazil, Guatemala, the Philippines, and the United States Praeger, New York.
- Zuger, B. (1976). Monozygotic twins discordant for homosexuality: Report on a pair and significance of the phenomenon.Comprehen. Psychiat. 17: 661–669.
- Homosexual orientation in twins: A report on 61 pairs and three triplet sets
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 22, Issue 3 , pp 187-206
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sexual orientation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Sociology, Arizona State University, 85287-2101, Tempe, Arizona, USA
- 2. Department of Anatomy and Reproductive Biology, John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, 1951 East-West Road, 96822, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA