Family characteristics and long-term consequences associated with sexual abuse
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
As opposed to father—daughter incest, little attention has been paid to the long-term consequences and family dynamics associated with child sexual abuse of females perpetrated by extended family members or extrafamilial contacts. Female undergraduates (n = 586) completed questionnaires on family history, sexual experiences, and current functioning. Results confirmed other research suggesting that father—daughter incest is associated with a traditional patriarchal family structure. However, sexual abuse overall, regardless of perpetrator, was associated with certain uniform family characteristics. Moreover, sexual abuse had certain long-term consequences, regardless of perpetrator. These results suggest the importance of attention to family characteristics in all cases of child sexual abuse.
- Alexander, P. (1985). A systems theory conceptualization of incest.Fam. Proc. 24: 79–88.
- Blick, L. C., and Porter, F. S. (1982). Group therapy with female adolescent incest victims. In Sgroi, S. M., (ed.),Handbook of Clinical Intervention in Child Sexual Abuse. Lexington Books, Lexington, MA.
- Finkelhor, D. (1979).Sexually Victimized Children. The Free Press, New York.
- Fitts, W. H. (1964).The Tennessee Self-Concept Scale. Counselor Recordings and Tests, Nashville, TN.
- Herman, J. L. (1981).Father—Daughter Incest. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Hollingshead, A. B., and Redlich, F. C. (1958).Social Class and Mental Illness. Wiley, New York.
- James, B., and Nasjleti, M. (1983).Treating Sexually Abused Children and Their Families. Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA.
- Levinson, D., and Huffman, P. (1955). Traditional family ideology and its relation to personality.J. Pers. 23: 251–273.
- Meiselman, K. C. (1978).Incest. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco.
- Olson, D. H., Russell, C. S., and Sprenkle, D. H. (1983). Circumplex model of marital and family systems: VI. Theoretical update.Fam. Proc. 22: 69–83.
- Russell, D. (1984).Sexual Exploitation: Rape, Child Sexual Abuse and Workplace Harassment. Sage Publications, Beverly Hills.
- Tierney, K. H., and Corwin, D. L. (1983). Exploring intrafamilial child sexual abuse: A systems approach. In Finkelhor, D., Gilles, R. J., Hotaling, G. T., and Strauss, M. S. (eds.),The Dark Side of Families. Sage Publications, Beverly Hills.
- Family characteristics and long-term consequences associated with sexual abuse
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 16, Issue 3 , pp 235-245
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sexual abuse
- family characteristics
- long-term characteristics of abuse
- Industry Sectors