Young adult women who report childhood intrafamilial sexual abuse: Subsequent adjustment
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Young adult women who had experienced incest and a matched comparison group were examined for differences in interpersonal functioning, sexual functioning, self-esteem, and emotional adjustment. Those reporting incest reported significantly poorer general social adjustment, especially in dating relationships. They had significantly lower levels of sexual satisfaction, lower self-esteem, and distorted body images, as well as greater depression and lower positive affect. These characteristics may be related not only to the incest experience but to the general family environment in which incest occurred, as significant differences in family characteristcs were also observed.
- Alexander, P. C., and Lupfer, S. L. (1987). Family characteristics and long-term consequences associated with sexual abuse.Arch. Sex. Behav. 16: 235–245.
- Alter-Reid, K., Gibbs, M. S., Lachenmeyer, J. R., Sigal, J., and Massoth, N. A. (1986). Sexual abuse of children: A review of the empirical findings.Clin. Psychol. Rev. 6: 249–266.
- Amick, A. E., and Calhoun, K. S. (1987). Resistance to sexual aggression: Personality, attitudinal and situational factors.Arch. Sex. Behav. 16: 153–163.
- Beck, A. T., Ward, C. H., Mendelson, M., Mock, J., and Erbaugh, J. (1961). An inventory for measuring depression.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 4: 561–571.
- Becker, J. V., Skinner, L. J., Abel, G. C., and Treacy, E. C. (1982). Incidence and types of sexual dysfunctions in rape and incest survivors.J. Sex. Marital Ther. 8: 65–74.
- Browne, A., and Finkelhor, D. (1986). Impact of child sexual abuse: A review of research.Psychol. Bull. 99: 66–77.
- Calhoun, K. S. Atkeson, B. M., and Resick, P. A. (1982). A longitudinal examination of fear reactions in victims of rape.J. Counsel. Psychol. 29: 655–661.
- Derogatis, L. R., and Melisaratos, N. (1979). The DSFI: A multidimensional measure of sexual functioning.J. Sex Marital Ther. 5: 244–281.
- de Young, M. (1982).The Sexual Victimization of Children McFarland, Jefferson, NC.
- Ellis, E. M., Atkeson, B. M., and Calhoun, K. S. (1982). An examination of differences between multiple- and single-incident victims of sexual assault.J. Abn. Psychol. 91: 221–224.
- Erickson, E. H. (1963).Childhood and Society 2nd ed., Norton, New York.
- Gold, E. R. (1986). Long-term effects of sexual victimization in childhood: An attributional approach.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 54:471–475
- Gomes-Schwartz, B., Horowitz, J. M., and Sauzier, M. (1985). Severity of emotional distress among sexually abused preschool, school-age, and adolescent children.Hosp. Commun. Psychiat. 36: 503–508.
- Habif, V. L. (1981). Development of a scale to measure social support and its role as a moderator of life stress. Masters thesis, University of Georgia, Athens.
- Harter, S., Alexander, P. C., and Neimeyer, R. A. (1988). Long-term effects of incestuous child abuse in college women: Social adjustment, social cognition, and family characteristics.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 56: 5–8.
- Herman, J. L. (1981).Father-Daughter Incest. Havard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Kilpatrick, D. G., Veronen, L. J., and Resick, P. A. (1979). Assessment of the aftermath of rape: Changing patterns of fear.J. Behav. Assess. 1: 133–148.
- Kincannon, J. C. (1968). Prediction of the standard MMPI scale from 71 items: The Mini-Mult.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 32: 319–325.
- Meiselman, K. (1978).Incest, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco.
- Meyers, J. R., and Bean, L. L. (1968).A Decade Later: A Follow-up of Social Class and Mental Illness Wiley, New York.
- Miller, J., Moeller, D., Kaufman, A., Divasto, P., Pathak, D., and Christy, J. (1978). Recidivism among sex assault victims.Am. J. Psychiat. 135: 1103–1104.
- Moos, R. H., Insel, P. M., and Humphrey, B. (1974).The Social Climate Scales: An Overview Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, Ca.
- Resick, P. A., Calhoun, K. S., Atkeson, B. M., and Ellis, E. M. (1981). Social adjustment in victims of sexual assault.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 49: 705–712.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965).Society and the Adolescent Self-Image, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- Rotter, J. B. (1966). Generalized expectancies for internal vs. external control of reinforcement.Psychol. Monogr. 80(1, Whole No. 609).
- Russell, D. E. H. (1983). The incidence and prevalence of intrafamilial and extrafamilial sexual abuse of female children.Child Abuse Neglect 7: 133–146.
- Sedney, M. A., and Brooks, B. (1984). Factors associated with a history of childhood sexual experience in a nonclinical female population.J. Am. Acad. Child Psychiat. 23: 215–218.
- Schwarz, J. C., and Zuroff, D. C. (1979). Family structure and depression in female college students: Effects of parental conflict, decision-making power, and inconsistency of love.J. Abn. Psychol. 88: 398–406.
- Tsai, M., Feldman-Summers, S., and Edgar, M. (1979). Childhood molestation: Variables related to differential impacts on psychosexual functioning in adult women.J. Abn. Psychol. 88: 407–417.
- Veronen, L., and Kilpatrick, D. (1980). Self-reported fears of rape victims: A preliminary investigation.Behav. Modific. 4: 383–396.
- Wahler, H. J. (1973).Wahler Physical Symptoms Inventory Manual Western Psychological Services, Los Angeles.
- Weissman, M. M., and Bothwell, S. (1976). Assessment of social adjustment by patient self-report.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 33: 1111–1115.
- Young adult women who report childhood intrafamilial sexual abuse: Subsequent adjustment
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 19, Issue 3 , pp 211-221
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- intrafamilial sexual abuse
- psychological adjustment
- Industry Sectors