Electroencephalographic laterality changes during human sexual orgasm
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Left and right parietal EEGs were recorded while seven subjects experienced sexual climax through self-stimulation. EEG data were quantified by continuous cumulated measurements of the integrated areas of EEG recording during successive 1-sec epochs. In eight out of 12 experiments, this measure revealed a statistically significant change in laterality. Controlled replications with two of the original subjects obviated the possibility that two potential sources of artifact (hand used for masturbation and gross body movements) accounted for the changes. While previous research has focused on vasomotor and myotonic indices of sexual response, this study demonstrates the significance of brain phenomena in sexual orgasm.
- Bartlett, R. G. (1956) Physiologic responses during coitus. J. Appl. Physiol. 9: pp. 469-472
- Cohen, H. D., Shapiro, A. (1971) A method for measuring sexual arousal in the female. Psychophysiology 8: pp. 251
- Dimond, S. (1972) The Double Brain. Churchill Livingstone, London
- Fisher, S. (1973) The Female Orgasm. Basic Books, New York
- Fox, C. A., Fox, B. (1969) Blood pressure and respiratory patterns during human coitus. J. Reprod. Fert. 19: pp. 405-415
- Fox, C. A., Fox, B. (1971) Review: A comparative study of coital physiology with special reference to the sexual climax. J. Reprod. Fert. 24: pp. 319-336
- Galin, D., Ornstein, R. (1972) Lateral specialization of cognitive mode: An EEG study. Psychophysiology 9: pp. 412
- Goldstein, L. Time domain analysis of the EEG: The integrative method. In: Dolce, G., Kunkel, H. eds. (1975) CEAN-Computerized EEG Analysis. Verlog, Stuttgart
- Goldstein, L., Stoltzfus, N. W., Gardocki, J. F. (1972) Changes in interhemispheric amplitude relationships in the EEG during sleep. Physiol. Behav. 8: pp. 811
- Goldstein, L., Sugerman, A. A., Marjerrison, G., and Stoltzfus, N. (1973). The EEG and differential hemispheric functions. Presented at the Conference on Aspects of Transformation of Consciousness, Montreal, October 1973, R. M. Bucke Memorial Society, in press.
- Harnad, S. R. (1973). Interhemispheric division of labor. Presented at the Conference on Aspects of Transformation of Consciousness, Montreal, October 1973, R. M. Bucke Memorial Society, in press.
- Heath, R. G. (1972) Pleasure and brain activity in man. J. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 154: pp. 3-17
- Jusko, A. G. (1975). A miniature 2-channel differential amplifier (personal communication).
- Keiser, S. (1952) Body ego during orgasm. Psychoanal. Quart. 21: pp. 153-166
- Masters, W. H., Johnson, V. E. (1966) Human Sexual Response. Little, Brown and Company, Boston
- Mosovich, A., Tallaferro, A. (1954) Studies on EEG and sex function orgasm. Dis. Nerv. Syst. 15: pp. 218-220
- Rosadini, G. A. (1975). A computer evaluation of the human EEG responsiveness in normal and pathological condition. Second Symposium Study Group for EEG Methodology, Jonghy-en-Vevey, Switzerland, May 1975, in press.
- Rosen, R. C. (1973) Suppression of penile tumescence by instrumental conditioning. Psychosom. Med. 35: pp. 509-514
- Zuckerman, M. (1971) Physiological measures of sexual arousal in the human. Psychol. Bull. 75: pp. 297-329
- Electroencephalographic laterality changes during human sexual orgasm
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 5, Issue 3 , pp 189-199
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors