Castration for sex offenders: Treatment or punishment? A review and critique of recent European literature
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The recent European literature on surgical castration in treatment of sex offenders is reviewed. Results are reported of the most important empirical studies conducted in this field of sex research in Germany, Switzerland, Norway, and Denmark. Methodological problems of follow-up studies on castrates as well as the subject of castration as treatment for sex offenders as a whole are discussed. The main conclusion is that there is no scientific or ethical basis for castration in the treatment of sex offenders.
- Abel, G., Blanchard, E., and Becker, J. (1976). Psychological treatment of rapists. In Brodsky, S., and Walker, M. (eds.),Sexual Assault Lexington Books, Lexington, Mass., pp. 99–115.
- Abel, G., Blanchard, E., and Becker, J. (1978). An integrated treatment program for rapists. In Rada, R. (ed.),Clinical Aspects of the Rapist Grune and Stratton, New York, pp. 161–214.
- Allen, C. (1969).A Textbook of Psychosexual Disorders Oxford University Press, London.
- Beach, F. A. (1970). Hormonal effects on socio-sexual behavior in dogs. In Gibian, H., and Plotz, E. J. (eds.),Mammalian Reproduction Springer, Berlin, pp. 437–466.
- Beach, F. A. (1976). Hormonal control of sex-related behavior. In Beach, F. A. (ed.),Human Sexuality in Four Perspectives John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, pp. 247–267.
- Bermant, G., and Davidson, J. (1974).Biological Bases of Sexual Behavior Harper and Row, New York.
- Bowman, K. (1952). Sexual Deviation Research, March, 1952. Assembly of the State of California.
- Bowman, K., and Crook, G. (1960). Emotional changes following castration. In West, L., and Greenblatt, M. (eds.),Explorations in the Physiology of Emotions, American Psychiatric Association, Psychiatric Research Reports, #12, pp. 81–96.
- Brancale, R., Vuocolo, A., and Prendergast, W. (1972). The New Jersey program for sex offenders. In Resnik, H. L. P., and Wolfgang, M. E. (eds.),Sexual Behaviors: Social, Clinical, and Legal Aspects Little, Brown, Boston, pp. 331–350.
- Bremer, J. (1959).Asexualization: A Follow-up Study of 244 Cases Macmillan, New York.
- Campbell, H. (1967). The violent sex offender.Rocky Mountain Med. J. 64: 40–43.
- Cornu, F. (1973).Catamnestic Studies on Castrated Sex Delinquents from a Forensic-Psychiatric Viewpoint Karger, Basel (in German).
- Dworkin, G. (1975). Can convicts consent to castration?Hastings Center Rep. 5(5): 18–19.
- Eibl, E. (1978). Treatment and after-care of 300 sex offenders, especially with regard to penile plethysmography. In Justizministerium Baden-Württemberg (ed.),Proceedings of the German Conference on Treatment Possibilities for Sex Offenders in Eppingen, 1977, Stuttgart (in German).
- Ford, C., and Beach, F. A. (1951).Patterns of Sexual Behavior Harper, New York.
- Gaenbauer, Th. (1973). Castration in treatment of sex offenders: An appraisal.Rocky Mountain Med. J. 70: 23–28.
- Gebhard, P., Gagnon, J., Pomeroy, W., and Christenson, C. (1965).Sex Offenders: An Analysis of Types Heinemann, London.
- Groth, N., and Burgess, A. (1977). Sexual dysfunction during rape.New Engl. J. Med. 297: 764–766.
- Heim, N. (1978). Castration in treatment of sex offenders: Results of a pilot study. In Justizministerium Baden-Württemberg (ed.),Proceedings of the German Conference on Treatment Possibilities for Sex Offenders in Eppingen, 1977, Stuttgart (in German).
- Hynie, J. (1973). Preventive custodial therapy of sex delinquents serving their sentences.Cesk. Psychiat. 69: 29–31 (in Czech).
- Karacan, I., Hursch, C. J., Guerrero, M. W., and Williams, R. L. (1972). The nocturnal penile tumescence of convicted rapists and other prisoners.Sleep Res. 1: 138.
- Kinsey, A., Pomeroy, W., Martin, C., and Gebhard, P. (1953).Sexual Behavior in the Human Female Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Klerman, G. (1975). Can convicts consent to castration?Hastings Center Rep. 5(5): 17–18.
- Kozol, H., Boucher, R., and Garofalo, R. (1972). The diagnosis and treatment of dangerousness.Crime Delinq. 18: 371–392.
- Langelüddeke, A. (1963).Castration of Sexual Criminals de Gruyter, Berlin (in German).
- Money, J. (1961). Components of eroticism in man. I. The hormones in relation to sexual morphology and sexual desire.J. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 132: 239–248.
- Pirke, K. M. (1977). Endocrinology of sexual reactions.Sexualmedizin 6: 40–42 (in German).
- Raboch, J., and Nedoma, K. (1970). Indication for testicular pulpectomy in sexual delinquents.Cesk. Psychiat. 66: 152–157 (in Czech).
- Rada, R., Laws, D., and Kellner, R. (1976). Plasma testosterone levels in the rapist.Psychosom. Med. 28: 257–268.
- Rees, J. (1977). “Voluntary” castration of mentally disordered sex offenders.Crim. Law Bull. 13: 30–48.
- Rogers, L. (1976). Male hormones and behavior. In Lloyd, B., and Archer, J. (eds.),Exploring Sex Differences Academic Press, London, pp. 157–184.
- Rose, R. (1976). Antiandrogen therapy of sex offenders. In Sachar, E. (ed.),Hormones, Behavior, and Psychopathology Raven Press, New York, pp. 121–124.
- Sand, K., Dickmeis, P., and Schwalbe-Hansen, P. (1964).Report on Sterilization and Castration, Publication 353, Copenhagen, pp. 46–57 (in Danish).
- Stone, E., and Thurston, G. (1959). Castration for sexual offenders: A commentary on a recent case.Medico-Legal J. 27: 136.
- Stürup, G. K. (1968).Treatment of Sexual Offenders in Herstedvester, Denmark: The Rapists, Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, Suppl. 204 (Vol. 44).
- Stürup, G. K. (1972). Castration: The total treatment. In Resnik, H. L. P., and Wolfgang, M. E. (eds.),Sexual Behaviors: Social, Clinical, and Legal Aspects Little, Brown, Boston, pp. 361–382.
- Stürup, G. K. (1977). Personal communication dated November 20, 1977.
- Tauber, E. (1940). Effects of castration upon the sexuality of the adult male.Psychosom. Med. 2: 74–87.
- Taus, L. and Susicka, L. (1973). Five years long observation of sexual deviants after therapeutic intervention.Cesk. Psychiat. 69: 51–55 (in Czech).
- Vozenilkova, A. (1971). Admissibility of castration as means against sexual delinquency.Cesk. Zdravot. 19: 284–287 (in Czech).
- Yamamoto, J., and Seeman, W. (1960). In West, L., and Greenblatt, M. (eds.),Explorations in the Physiology of Emotions, American Psychiatric Association, Psychiatric Research Reports, #12, pp. 97–103.
- Castration for sex offenders: Treatment or punishment? A review and critique of recent European literature
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 281-304
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sex offenders
- treatment of sexual deviants
- sexual behavior
- Industry Sectors