The clarke SHQ: A clinical sex history questionnaire for males
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The development of a 225-item sexual history questionnaire is reported. The frequency, desire for, and disgust for a wide range of sexual behaviors, including anomalous behavior, were examined. Twenty-four scales were derived from factor analysis of the items. The scales were represented by modest unitary factors but were relatively free of bias from age, education, intelligence, social desirability, and defensiveness. The scales generally discriminated clinically relevant groups from control subjects and therefore meet a clinical need in the assessment of anomalous sexual behavior. The instrument also appears to be useful in examining hypotheses for research. Among these observations was the continuity between exhibitionism and heterosexual pedophilia and the apparent bisexuality of some homosexual males. The scale allows for the assessment of the preferences of sexually inexperienced males as well.
- Allen, R. M., and Haupt, T. D. (1966). The sex inventory: Test-retest reliabilities of scale scores and items.J. Clin. Psychol. 22: 378–386.
- Bentler, P. M. (1968a). Heterosexual behavior assessment. I. Males.Behav. Res. Theory 6: 21–25.
- Bentler, P. M. (1968b). Heterosexual behavior assessment. II. Females.Behav. Res. Theory 6: 27–30.
- Campbell, D. T., and Fiske, D. W. (1959). Convergent and discriminant validation by the multitrait-multimethod matrix.Psychol. Bull. 56(2): 81–105.
- Cronbach, L. J. (1951). Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests.Psychometrika 16(3): 297–334.
- Domoney, D. W. (1975).Multivariate cluster analysis: A Monte Carlo study of some basic parameters. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Toronto.
- Freund, K. (1975). Male homosexuality: An analysis of the pattern. In Lorraine, J. A. (ed.),Understanding Homosexuality: Its Biological and Psychological Bases Medical and Technical Publishing Co., Lancaster, England.
- Freund, K. and Kolarsky, A. (1965). A simple reference system for analysing sexual deviation.Psychiat. Neurol. Med. Psychol. 12: 221–225.
- Freund, K., Nagler, E., Langevin, R., Zajac, A., and Steiner, B. (1974). Measuring feminine gender identity in homosexual males.Arch. Sex. Behav. 3(3): 249–259.
- Gebhard, P., Gagnon, J., Pomeroy, W., and Christenson, C. (1965).Sex Offenders Harper and Row, New York.
- Haupt, T. D., and Allen, R. M. (1966). A multivariate analysis of variance of scale scores on the sex inventory, male form.J. Clin. Psychol. 22: 387–395.
- Kinsey, A. C., Pomeroy, W. B., and Martin, C. E. (1948).Sexual Behavior in the Human Male Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Langevin, R., Paitich, D., and Steiner, B. (1977). The clinical profile of male transsexuals living as females vs. those living as males.Arch. Sex. Behav. 6: 143–154.
- Mohr, J. W., Turner, R. E., and Jerry, M. B. (1964).Pedophilia and Exhibitionism University of Toronto Press, Toronto.
- Paitich, D. (1973). A comprehensive automated psychological examination and report (CAPER).Behav. Sci. 18: 131–136.
- Schofield, M. (1965).The Sexual Behavior of Young People Longmans, London.
- Thorne, F. C. (1966a). A factorial study of sexuality — Adult males.J. Clin. Psychol. 22: 378–386.
- Thorne, F. C. (1966b). Scales for rating sexual experience.J. Clin. Psychol. 22: 404–407.
- Thorne, F. C. (1966c). The sex inventory.J. Clin. Psychol. 22: 367–374.
- Thorne, F. C., and Haupt, T. D. (1966). The objective measurement of sex attitudes and behavior in adult males.J. Clin. Psychol. 22: 295–303.
- Zuckerman, M. (1973). Scales for sex experience for males and females.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 41(1): 27–29.
- The clarke SHQ: A clinical sex history questionnaire for males
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 6, Issue 5 , pp 421-436
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sex history questionnaire
- sex deviation
- sex preferences
- Industry Sectors