Heterosexual copulatory patterns in stumptail macaques (Macaca arctoides) and in other macaque species
- Suzanne Chevalier-Skolnikoff Ph.D.
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A comparison of the mating behavior patterns of several macaque species reveals that the mating behavior of Macaca arctoidesexhibits several unique features. The laboratory groups of stumptail monkeys observed had exceptionally long single-mount copulations characterized by a large number of pelvic thrusts, a slow thrusting rate, and an unusually salient male orgasmic pattern (characterized by body rigidity followed by body spasms and a typical facial expression and vocalization). The frequency with which the copulation culminates in ejaculation is unusually high, and copulating stumptails generally manifest “tieing” in a genital lock after ejaculation.
- Altmann, S. A. (1962). A field study of the sociobiology of rhesus monkeys,Macaca mulatta.Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 102: 338–435.
- Bernstein, I. S. (1967). A field study of the pigtail monkey (Macaca nemestrina).Primates 8: 217–228.
- Bertrand, M. (1969). The behavioral repertoire of the stumptail macaque: A descriptive and comparative study.Bibl. Primatol., No. 11, Karger, Basel.
- Blurton-Jones, N. G., and Trollope, J. (1968). Social behavior of stumptailed macaques in captivity.Primates 9: 365–394.
- Carpenter, C. R. (1942). Sexual behavior of free ranging rhesus monkeys.J. Comp. Psychol. 33: 113–162. (Also published in Carpenter, C. R., 1964,Naturalistic Behavior of Nonhuman Primates, Pennsylvania State University Press, University Park, Pa.)
- Chevalier-Skolnikoff, S. (1971). The female sexual response in stumptail monkeys (Macaca speciosa), and its broad implications for female mammalian sexuality. Paper presented at the American Anthropological Association Annual Meetings, New York, November.
- Chevalier-Skolnikoff, S. (1973). Facial expression of emotion in nonhuman primates. In Ekman, P. (ed.),Darwin and Facial Expression: A Century of Research in Review Academic Press, New York.
- Chevalier-Skolnikoff, S. (1974a). Male-female, female-female, and male-male sexual behavior in the stumptail monkey, with special attention to the female orgasm.Arch. Sex. Behav. 3: 95–116.
- Chevalier-Skolnikoff, S. (1974b). The ontogeny of communication in the stumptail macaque,Macaca arctoides.Contrib. Primatol., No. 2, Karger, Basel.
- Hanby, J. P., Robertson, L. T., and Phoenix, C. H. (1971). The sexual behavior of a confined troop of Japanese macaques.Folia Primatol. 16: 123–143.
- Jay, P. (1965). Field studies. In Schrier, A. M., Harlow, H. F., and Stollnitz, F. (eds.),Behavior of Nonhuman Primates, Vol. II, Academic Press, New York, pp. 525–591.
- Kanagawa, H., and Hafez, E. S. E. (1973). Patterns of sexual behavior and anatomy of copulatory organs in macaques. Proceedings of the Fourth International Congress of Primatology.Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 38: 233–239.
- Kanagawa, H., Hafez, E. S. E., Nawar, M. M., and Jaszczak, St. (1972). Patterns of sexual behavior and anatomy of copulatory organs in macaques.Z. Tierpsychol. 31: 449–460.
- Kaufman, I. C., and Rosenblum, L. A. (1966). A behavioral taxonomy forMacaca nemestrina andMacaca radiata, based on longitudinal observation of family groups in the laboratory.Primates 7: 205–258.
- Kaufmann, J. H. (1965). A three-year study of mating behavior in a free ranging band of rhesus monkeys.Ecology 46: 500–512.
- Kuehn, R. E., and Young, W. C. (1965). Mating behavior in adultMacaca mulatta.Am. Zoologist 5: 687–688.
- Lemmon, W. B. (1972). Personal communication.
- Lemmon, W. B., and Oakes, E. (1967). “Tieing” between stumptailed macaques during mating.Lab. Primate Newsletter 6: 14–15.
- Lindburg, D. G. (1967). A field study of the reproductive behavior of the rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta). Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of California, Berkeley.
- Michael, R. P., and Saayman, G. S. (1967). Individual differences in the sexual behavior of male rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta) under laboratory conditions.Anim. Behav. 15: 460–466.
- Michael, R. P., and Zumpe, D. (1971). Patterns of reproductive behavior. In Hafez, E. S. E. (ed.),Comparative Reproduction of Nonhuman Primates Charles C Thomas, Springfield, Ill.
- Michael, R. P., Herbert, J., and Welegalla, J. (1967). Ovarian hormones and the sexual behavior of the male rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta) under laboratory conditions.J. Endocrinol. 39: 81–98.
- Missakian, E. A., Del Rio, L. R., and Myers, R. E. (1969). Reproductive behavior of captive male rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta).Commun. Behav. Biol. 4: 231–235.
- Nadler, R. D., and Rosenblum, L. A. (1969). Sexual behavior of male bonnet monkeys in the laboratory.Brain Behav. Evol. 2: 482–497.
- Nadler, R. D., and Rosenblum, L. A. (1971). Factors influencing sexual behavior of male bonnet macaques (Macaca radiata). InProceedings of the Third International Congress of Primatology, 1970, Vol. III, Karger, Basel, pp. 100–107.
- Nadler, R. D., and Rosenblum, L. A. (1973). Sexual behavior of male pigtail macaques in the laboratory.Brain Behav. Evol. 7: 18–33.
- Rahaman, H., and Parthasarathy, M. D. (1969). Studies on the social behaviour of bonnet monkeys.Primates 10: 149–162.
- Rosenblum, L. A., and Nadler, R. D. (1971). The ontogeny of sexual behavior in male bonnet macaques: Influence of hormones on the nervous system. InProceedings of the International Society of Psychoneuroendocrinology, 1970 Karger, Basel, pp. 388–400.
- Simonds, P. (1963). Ecology of macaques. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of California, Berkeley.
- Simonds, P. (1965). The bonnet macaque in South India. In DeVore, I. (ed.),Primate Behavior: Field Studies of Monkeys and Apes Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York.
- Southwick, C. H., Beg, M. A., and Siddiqi, M. R. (1965). Rhesus monkeys in North India. In DeVore, I. (ed.),Primate Behavior: Field Studies of Monkeys and Apes Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York.
- Tokuda, K. (1961/1962). A study on the sexual behavior in the Japanese monkey troop.Primates 3: 1–40.
- Tokuda, K., Simons, R. C., and Jensen, G. D. (1968). Sexual behavior in a captive group of pigtailed monkeys (Macaca nemestrina).Primates 9: 283–294.
- Trollope, J., and Blurton-Jones, N. G. (1970). Breeding the stump-tailed macaque.Lab. Anim. 4: 161–169.
- Zumpe, D., and Michael, R. P. (1968). The clutching reaction and orgasm in the female rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta).J. Endocrinol. 40: 117–123.
- Heterosexual copulatory patterns in stumptail macaques (Macaca arctoides) and in other macaque species
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 199-220
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Macaca arctoides
- mating behavior
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Anthropology, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
- 2. Langley Porter Neuropsychiatric Institute, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA