Early childhood psychosis and bleeding during pregnancy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Children with infantile autism and childhood psychosis were identified in the National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Stroke Collaborative Perinatal Study. They were matched with two control groups, one of normal-IQ and the other of low-IQ children. Perinatal data, which had been collected prospectively, were then rated blindly. The relationship between uterine bleeding in mothers and their subsequently delivered children, who developed the syndromes of autism and childhood psychosis, was found to be significant. Mid-trimester bleeding was especially prevalent. The bleeding was usually minor and was not considered to be clinically significant at the time of occurrence. The results tend to corroborate 12 previously published retrospective reports indicating more perinatal complications in children who develop autism and childhood psychosis.
- Bender, L., & Faretra, G. Pregnancy and birth histories of children with psychiatric problems.Proceedings of the Third World Congress of Psychiatry, 1961,2, 1329–1333.
- Bender, L. The life course of children with schizophrenia.American Journal of Psychiatry, 1973,130, 783–786.
- Bishop, E. H., Israel, S. L., & Briscoe, C. C. Obstetric influences on the premature infant's first year of development.Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1965,26, 628–635.
- Gittleman, M., & Birch, H. G. Childhood schizophrenia.Archives of General Psychiatry, 1967,17, 16–25.
- Harper, J., & Williams, S. Early environmental stress and infantile autism.Medical Journal of Australia, 1974,1, 341–346.
- Hertig, A. T., & Livingstone, R. G. Spontaneous, threatened and habitual abortion: Their pathogenesis and treatment.New England Journal of Medicine, 1944,23, 797–806.
- Hinton, G. G. Childhood psychosis or mental retardation: A diagnostic dilemma.Canadian Medical Association Journal, 1963,89, 1020–1024.
- Lobascher, M. E., Kingerlee, P. E., & Gubbay, S. S. Childhood autism: An investigation of aetiological factors in twenty-five cases.British Journal of Psychiatry, 1970,117, 525–529.
- Niswander, K. R., & Gordon, M.The women and their pregnancies, (DHEW pub. no. 73–379). Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1972.
- Osterkamp, A., & Sands, D. J. Early feeding and birth difficulties in childhood schizophrenia: A brief study.Journal of Genetic Psychology, 1962,101, 363–366.
- Pasamanick, B., & Knobloch, H. Epidemiologic studies on the complications of pregnancy and the birth process. In G. Caplan (Ed.),Prevention of Mental Disorders in Children. New York: Basic Books, 1961.
- Peckham, C. H. Uterine bleeding during pregnancy. I. When not followed by immediate termination of pregnancy.Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1970,35, 937–941.
- Pollack, M., & Woerner, M. G. Pre- and perinatal complications and “childhood schizophrenia”: A comparison of five controlled studies.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, 1966,7, 235–242.
- Rogers, M. E., Lilienfeld, A. M., & Pasamanick, B. Prenatal and paranatal factors in the development of childhood behavior disorders.Acta Psychiatrica et Neurologica Scandinavica Supplement, 1955,102, 11–88.
- Scott, J. R. Vaginal bleeding in the midtrimester of pregnancy.American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1972,113, 329–334.
- South, J. The effect of vaginal bleeding in early pregnancy on the infant born after the 28th week of pregnancy.Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the British Commonwealth, 1973,80, 236–241.
- Taft, L. T., & Goldfarb, W. Prenatal and perinatal factors in childhood schizophrenia.Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 1964,6, 32–43.
- Vorster, D. An investigation into the part played by organic factors in childhood schizophrenia.Journal of Mental Science, 1960,106, 494–522.
- Whittam, H., Simon, G. B., & Mittler, P. J. The early development of psychotic children and their sibs.Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 1966,8, 552–560.
- Wing, J. K., O'Connor, N., & Lotter, V. Autistic conditions in early childhood: A survey of Middlesex.British Medical Journal, 1967,3, 389–392.
- Early childhood psychosis and bleeding during pregnancy
Journal of autism and childhood schizophrenia
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 287-297
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors