Chromosomal locations of four minor rDNA loci and a marker microsatellite sequence in barley
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Four minor rDNA loci have been mapped physically to barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) chromosomes 1 (7I), 2 (2I), 4 (4I), and 5 (1I) by a two-stepin situ hybridization procedure including a GAA microsatellite sequence. Reprobing with the microsatellite resulted in a distinct banding pattern, resembling the C-banding pattern, which enabled unequivocal chromosome identification. This study suggests that gene mapping accuracy may be improved by using probes with well-characterized and narrow hybridization sites as cytological markers which are situated close to the gene locus. One of the rDNA loci is located about 54% out on the short arm of chromosome 4 and it has not previously been reported in barley. We have disignated the new locusNor-16. rDNA loci on homoeologous group 4 chromosomes have not yet been reported in otherTriticeae species. The origin of these 4 minor rDNA loci is discussed in relation to their equilocal distribution on the chromosomes.
- Anamthawat-Jónsson K, Schwarzacher T, Heslop-Harrison JS (1993) Behavior of parental genomes in the hybridHordeum vulgare × H. bulbosum.J Hered 84: 78–82.
- Baldini A, Ward DC (1992)In situ hybridization banding of human chromosomes withAlu-PCR products: a simultaneous karyotype for gene mapping studies.Genomics 9: 770–774.
- Baldini A, Ross M, Nizetic Det al. (1992) Chromosomal assignment of human YAC clones by fluorescencein situ hybridization: use of single-yeast-colony PCR and multiple labeling.Genomics 14: 181–184.
- Brown GR, Amarasinghe V, Kiss G, Carlson JE (1993) Preliminary karyotype and chromosomal localization of ribosomal DNA sites in white spruce using fluorescencein situ hybridization.Genome 36: 310–316.
- Cherif D, Bernard O, Berger R (1989) Detection of single-copy genes by nonisotopicin situ hybridization on human chromosomes.Hum Genet 81: 358–362.
- Cherif D, Julier C, Delattre O, Derré J, Lathrop GM, Berger R (1990) Simultaneous localization of cosmids and chromosome R-banding by fluorescence microscopy: application to regional mapping of human chromosome 11.Genetics 87: 6639–6643.
- Dennis ES, Gerlach WL, Peacock WJ (1980) Identical polypyrimidine-polypurine satellite DNAs in wheat and barley.Heredity 44: 349–366.
- Doležel J, Čihalíková J, Lucretti S (1992) A high-yield procedure for isolation of metaphase chromosomes from root tips ofVicia fabe L.Planta 188: 93–98.
- Fan YH, Davis LM, Shows TB (1990) Mapping small DNA sequences by fluorescencein situ hybridization directly on banded metaphase chromosomes.Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA) 87: 6223–6227.
- Flavell RB (1982) Sequence amplification, deletion and rearrangement: major sources of variation during species divergence. In: Dover GA, Flavell RB eds.Genome Evolution, London: Academic Press, pp 301–323.
- Flavell RB, O'Dell MO, Thompson WJ, Vincentz M, Sardana R, Barker RF (1986) The differential expression of ribosomal RNA genes.Phil Trans Soc Lond B 314: 385–397.
- Gerlach WL, Bedbrook JR (1979) Cloning and characterization of ribosomal RNA genes from wheat and barley.Nucleic Acids Res 7: 1869–1885.
- Hagemann S, Scheer B, Schweizer D (1993) Repetitive sequences in the genome ofAnemone blanda: identification of tandem arrays and of dispersed repeats.Chromosoma 102: 312–324.
- Heslop-Harrison JS, Harrison GE, Leitch IJ (1992) Reprobing of DNA:DNAin situ hybridization preparations.Trends Gen 8: 372–373.
- Huijser P, Hennig W (1987) Ribosomal DNA-related sequences in a Y chromosomal lampbrush loop ofDrosophila hydei.Mol Gen Genet 206: 441–451.
- Jensen J, Linde-Laursen I (1992) Statistical evaluation of length measurements on barley chromosomes with a proposal for a new nomenclature for symbols and positions of cytological markers.Hereditas 117: 51–59.
- Krenik KD, Kephart GM, Offord KP, Dunnette SL, Gleich GJ (1989) Comparison of antifading agents used in immunofluorescence.J Immunol Methods 117: 91–97.
- Lawrence JB, Villnave CA, Singer RH (1988) Sensitive, highresolution chromatin and chromosome mappingin situ: presence and orientation of two closely integrated copies of EBV in a lymphoma line.Cell 52: 51–61.
- Leitch IJ, Heslop-Harrison JS (1992) Physical mapping of the 18S-5.8S-26S rRNA genes in barley byin situ hybridization.Genome 35: 1013–1018.
- Leitch IJ, Heslop-Harrison JS (1993) Physical mapping of four sites of 5S rDNA sequences and one site of theα-amylase-2 gene in barley (Hordeum vulgare).Genome 36: 517–523.
- Lemieux N, Dutrillaux B, Viegas-Péquignot E (1992) A simple method for simultaneous R- or G-banding and fluorescencein situ hybridization of small single-copy genes.Cytogenet Cell Genet 59: 311–312.
- Lichter P, Chang Tang C-J, Call K,et al. (1990) High-resolution mapping of human chromosome 11 byin situ hybridization with cosmid clones.Science 247: 64–69.
- Linde-Laursen, I (1975) Giemsa C-banding of the chromosomes of ‘Emir’ barley.Hereditas 81: 285–289.
- Linde-Laursen I (1981) Giemsa banding patterns of the chromosomes of cultivated and wild barleys. In: Asher MJC, Ellis RP, Hayter AM, Whitehouse RNH, eds.Barley Genetics IV. Proc. 4th Internat. Barley Genet Symp, Edinburgh Univ Press, Edinburgh. pp 786–795.
- Linde-Laursen I (1984) Nucleolus organizer polymorphism in barley,Hordeum vulgare L.Hereditas 100: 33–43.
- Linde-Laursen I, Ibsen E, von Bothmer R, Giese H (1992) Physical localization of active and inactive rRNA gene loci inHordeum marinum ssp.gussoneanum (4x) byin situ hybridization.Genome 35: 1032–1036.
- Löve Á (1984) Conspectus of theTriticeae.Feddes Repert 85: 425–521.
- Meinkoth J, Wahl G (1984) Hybridization of nucleic acids immobilized on solid supports.Anal Biochem 138: 267–284.
- Moore G, Gale MD, Kurata N, Flavell RB (1993) Molecular analysis of small grain cereal genomes: current status and prospects.Biotechnology 11: 584–589.
- Pan WH, Houben A, Schlegel R (1993) Highly effective cell synchronization in plant roots by hydroxyurea and amiprophos-methyl or colchicine.Genome 36: 387–390.
- Pendás AM, Morán P, García-Vázquez E (1993) Multichromosomal location of ribosomal RNA genes and heterochromatin association in brown trout.Chromosome Research 1: 63–67.
- Pinkel D, Straume T, Gray JW (1986) Cytogenetic analysis using quantitative, high-sensitive, fluorescence hybridization.Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA) 83: 2934–2938.
- Sardana R, O'Dell M, Flavell R (1993) Correlation between the size of the intergenic regulatory region, the status of cytosine methylation of rRNA genes, and nucleolar expression in wheat.Mol Gen Genet 236: 155–162.
- Selleri L, Hermanson GG, Eubanks JH, Evans GA (1991) Chromosomalin situ hybridization using yeast artificial chromosomes.GATA 8: 59–66.
- Trask B, Pinkel D, Van den Engh G (1989) The proximity of DNA sequences in interphase cell nuclei is correlated to genomic distance and permits ordering of cosmids spanning 250 kilobase pairs.Genomics 5: 710–717.
- Chromosomal locations of four minor rDNA loci and a marker microsatellite sequence in barley
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 65-71
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- chromosome identification
- Hordeum vulgare
- in situ hybridization
- Industry Sectors