Optical second-harmonic generation of metal-island films
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In metal-island films consisting of nanometer particles on a transparent substrate irradiated light fields can be locally enhanced by electron-plasma resonances. Therefore, nonlinear optical processes should be enhanced dramatically. However, second-order nonlinear processes as second-harmonic generation occuring in the surface are strongly reduced by the centrosymmetric shape of the metal particles. It is found that this surface-specific contribution to second-harmonic generation is less enhanced, as is expected from the field enhancement. The “bulk” contribution, at smooth metal surfaces known to be much weaker than the contribution from the “real surface”, is strongly enhanced by the plasma resonances without symmetry restrictions and becomes comparably important.
- R.B. Hall, J.N. Russell, J. Miragliotta, P.R. Rabinivitz: InChemistry and Physic of Solid Surfaces VII, ed. by R. Vanselow, R. Howe, Springer Ser. Surf. Sci., Vol. 22 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1990) p. 87
- G.P.R. Robinson, V. L. Shannon. Prog. Surf. Sci.28, 1 (1988)
- J. Rudnick, E.A. Stern: Phys. Rev. B4, 4272 (1971).
- M. Weber, A. Liebsch: Phys. Rev. B35, 7411 (1987)
- R. Murphy, M. Yeganeh, K.J. Song, E.W. Plummer: Phys. Rev. Lett.,63, 318 (1989).
- H. Raether:Surface Plasmons on Smooth and Rough Surfaces and on Gratings, Springer Tracts Mod. Phys., Vol. 111 (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1988)
- H. J. Simon, D.E. Mitchell, J.G. Watson: Phys. Rev. Lett.33, 1531 (1974)
- G.S. Agarwal, S.S. Jha: Solid State Commun.41, 499 (1982)
- A. Wokaun, J.G. Bergman, J.P. Heritage, A.M. Glass, P.F. Liao, D.H. Olson: Phys. Rev. B24, 849 (1981)
- F.R. Aussenegg, A. Leitner, J.D. Pedarnig: Apl. Phys. B49, 279 (1989)
- Y.R. Shen:Principles of Nonlinear Optics (Wiley, New York (1991)
- D.L. Hills:Nonlinear Optics (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 1991)
- T.F. Heinz: InNonlinear Surface Electromagnetic Phenomena. ed. by H.-E. Ponath, G.I. Stegeman (North-Holland, Amsterdam 1991).
- F. Brown, R. Parks: Phys. Rev. Lett.16, 507 (1966).
- K. Pedersen, O. Keller: J. Opt. Soc. Am. B6, 2412 (1989).
- S.S. Jha: Phys. Rev. Lett.15, 412 (1965).
- R.R. Singer, A. Leitner, F.R. Aussenegg: J. Opt. Soc. Am. B (in press)
- H. Wolter: Z. Phys.105, 269 (1937)
- D.A. Weitz, S. Garoff, T.J. Gramilla: Opt. Lett.7, 168 (1982).
- Li Le, Liu Yanghua, Yu Gongda, Wang Wengcheng, Zhang Zhiming: Phys. Rev. B40, 10100 (1989)
- D. Heskett, L.E. Urback, K.J. Song, E.W. Plummer, H.L. Dai: Surf. Sci.197, 225 (1988)
- Optical second-harmonic generation of metal-island films
Applied Physics A
Volume 60, Issue 2 , pp 97-101
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors