How far can autistic children go in matters of social adaptation?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The case histories of 9 autistic children, 8 boys and 1 girl, selected from a total of 96 so diagnosed at The John Hopkins Hospital prior to 1953, are presented in some detail and discussed. These children, first evaluated and given the diagnosis at an age ranging from 2 years and 10 months to 8 years and 1 month, are presently in their 20's and 30's. Their development is traced from acute psychotic infancy until the end of 1971. Having made a sufficient social adjustment, they manage to function as self-dependent individuals, mostly well educated and all gainfully employed. Attention is drawn to differences between this group and other autistic patients, maturational and environmental issues as well as to past and present patterns of behavior and personality structure.
- Cottington, F. Treatment of schizophrenia in childhood.Nervous Child, 1942,1, 172–187.
- Kanner, L. Problem children growing up.American Journal of Psychiatry, 1937,94 691–699. (a)
- Kanner, L. Prognosis in child psychiatry.Archives of Neurology and Psychiatry, 1937,37, 922–928. (b)
- Kanner, L. Autistic disturbances of affective contact.Nervous Child, 1943,2, 217–250.
- Kanner, L. Children in state hospitals.American Journal of Psychiatry, 1965,121, 925–927.
- Kanner, L. Follow-up study of eleven autistic children originally reported in 1943.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 1971,1, 119–145.
- Kanner, L., & Eisenberg, L. Notes on the follow-up studies of autistic children. In P. H. Hoch and J. Zubin (Eds.),Psychopathology of childhood. New York: Grune & Stratton, 1955.
- Lourie, R. S., Pacella, B. L., & Piotrowski, Z. A. Studies on the prognosis in schizophrenic-like psychoses in children.American Journal of Psychiatry, 1943,99, 542–552.
- How far can autistic children go in matters of social adaptation?
Journal of autism and childhood schizophrenia
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 9-33
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors