A six-year follow-up study of anorexia nervosa subjects with teenage onset
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Fifty-one adolescent onset anorexia nervosa (AN) cases recruited after community screening were compared with fifty-one age-, sex- and schoolmatched cases with regard to comorbidity and personality disorders at age 21 years. All 102 cases had originally been examined at a mean age of 16 years. Outcome according to the Morgan-Russell scales was fairly similar to that reported in recent clinic-based samples. Most of the former AN cases were recovered in respect of weight but outcome in social areas was restricted. Obsessive compulsive and avoidant personality disorders and empathy disorders were very much more common in the AN than in the comparison group. Obsessive compulsive behaviors showed a high degree of stability over time and were unrelated to weight problems. Together with empathy disorders they tended to predict outcome better than the eating disorder as such. Affective disorders were common but tended to follow the course of the eating disorder rather than precede or postdate it.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1987).Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (3rd ed.). American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC.
- Baron-Cohen, S. (1993). From attention-goal psychology to belief-desire psychology: The development of a theory of mind and its dysfunction. In S. Baron-Cohen, H. Tager-Flusberg, and D. J. Cohen (eds.),Understanding Other Minds: Perspectives from Autism. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Bourke, M. P., Taylor, G. J., Parker, J., and Bagby, R. M. (1992). Alexithymia in women with anorexia nervosa: A preliminary investigation.Br. J. Psychiat. 161: 240–243.
- Bryant-Waugh, R., Knibbs, J., Fosson, A., Kaminski, Z., and Lask, B. (1988). Long term follow up of patients with early onset anorexia nervosa.Arch. Dis. Child. 63: 5–9.
- Burns, T., and Crisp, A. H. (1984). Outcome of anorexia nervosa in males.Br. J. Psychiat. 145: 319–325.
- Casper, R. C. (1990). Personality features of women with good outcome from restricting anorexia nervosa.Psychosom. Med. 52: 156–170.
- Dewey, M. (1991). Living with Asperger's syndrome. In Frith, U. (ed.),Autism and Asperger Syndrome. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Gillberg, C. (1992). The Emanuel Miller Memorial Lecture 1991: Autism and autistic-like conditions: subclasses among disorders of empathy.J. Child Psychol. Psychiat. 33: 813–842.
- Gillberg, C., and Råstam, M. (1992). Do some cases of anorexia nervosa reflect underlying autistic-like conditions?Behav. Neurol. 5: 27–32.
- Gillberg, C., Råstam, M., and Gillberg, I. C. (1994a). Anorexia nervosa: Physical health and neurodevelopment at 16 and 21 years.Develop. Med. Child Neurol. 36: 567–575.
- Gillberg, C., Råstam, M., and Gillberg, I. C. (1994b). Anorexia nervosa: Who sees the patients and who do the patients see?Acta Paediat. 83: 967–971.
- Gillberg, I. C., and Gillberg C. (1989). Asperger syndrome-some epidemiological considerations.J. Child Psychol. Psychiat. 30: 631–638.
- Gillberg, I. C., Råstam, M., and Gillberg, C. (1994). Anorexia nervosa outcome: Six year controlled longitudinal study of 51 cases including a population cohort.J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiat. 3: 729–739.
- Gillberg, I. C., Råstam, M., and Gillberg, C. (1995). Anorexia nervosa 6 years after onset. Part I: Personality disorders.Compr. Psychiat. 36.
- Hall, A., Slim, E., Hawker, F., and Salmond, C. (1984). Long-term outcome in 50 female patients.Br. J. Psychiat. 145: 407–413.
- Halmi, K. A., Eckert, E., Marchi, P., Sampugnaro, V., Apple, R., and Cohen, J. (1991). Comorbidity of psychiatric diagnoses in anorexia nervosa.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 48: 712–718.
- Hawley, R. M. (1985). The outcome of anorexia nervosa in younger subjects.Br. J. Psychiat, 146: 657–660.
- Hsu, L. K. G., Crisp, A. H., and Harding, B. (1979). Outcome of anorexia nervosa.Lancet i: 61–65.
- Hsu, L. K. G. (1987). Outcome and treatment effects. In Beaumont, P J., Burrows, J. & Casper, R. C. (eds.),Handbook of Eating Disorders. Part I, Elsevier Science Publishers, London.
- Hsu, L. K. G. (1988), The outcome of anorexia nervosa: A reappraisal.Psychol. Med. 18: 807–812.
- Morgan, H. G., and Hayward, A. E. (1988). Clinical assessment of anorexia nervosa. The Morgan-Russell outcome assessment schedule.Br. J. Psychiat. 152: 367–371.
- Morgan, H. G., and Russell, G. F. M. (1975). Value of family background and clinical features as predictors of long term outcome in anorexia nervosa: Four-year follow-up study of 41 patients.Psychol. Med. 5: 355–371.
- Morgan, H. G., Purgold, J., and Welbourne, J. (1983). Management and outcome in anorexia nervosa: A standardized prognostic study.Br. J. Psychiat. 143: 282–297.
- Råstam, M. (1992). Anorexia nervosa in 51 Swedish children and adolescents: Pre-morbid problems and comorbidity.J. Am. Acad. Child Adoles. Psychiat. 31: 819–829.
- Råstam, M., and Gillberg, C. (1991). The family background in anorexia nervosa: A population-based study.J. Am. Acad. Child Adoles. Psychiat. 30: 283–289.
- Råstam, M., Gillberg, C., and Garton, M. (1989). Anorexia nervosa in a Swedish urban region: A population-based study.Br. J. Psychiat. 155: 642–646.
- Råstam, M., Gillberg, I. C., and Gillberg, C. (1995). Anorexia nervosa 6 years after onset. Part II: Comorbid psychiatric problems.Compreh. Psychiat. 36.
- Ratnasuriya, R. H., Eisler, I., Szmukler, G. I., and Russell, G. F. M. (1991). Anorexia nervosa: Outcome and prognostic factors after 20 years.Br. J. Psychiat. 158: 495–502.
- Schmidt, U., Jiwany, A., and Treasure, J. (1993). A controlled study of alexithymia in eating disorders.Compr. Psychiat. 34: 54–58.
- Spitzer, R. L., Williams, J. B., Gibbon, M., and First, M. B. (1992), The Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-III-R (SCID). I: History, rationale, and description.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 49: 624–629.
- Steinhausen, H.-C., and Glanville, K. (1983). Follow-up studies of anorexia nervosa: A review of research findings.Psychol. Med. 13: 239–249.
- Steinhausen, H.-C., Rauss-Mason, C., and Seidel, R. (1991), Follow-up studies of anorexia nervosa: A review of four decades of outcome research.Psychol. Med. 21: 447–454.
- Wechsler, D. (1992).Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale Revised. Psykologiförlaget, Stockholm (Swedish version).
- A six-year follow-up study of anorexia nervosa subjects with teenage onset
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 25, Issue 4 , pp 439-453
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links