“The mosque and the satellite”: Media and adolescence in a Moroccan town
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The exposure of young people in a semirural Moroccan town to a variety of Western, Middle Eastern, and locally produced media increased rapidly during the 1980s, a period of rapid social change. Media images included economic affluence, relatively free sexual behavior, and nontraditional social roles for females. Data collected mainly in 1982 reveal relationships between media exposure and adolescents' use of media images in their social behavior, choice of mate, and career aspirations. Male adolescents were exposed to more Western media and were able to develop a more individual taste, but both sexes appeared eager to reconcile traditional Islamic and contemporary media-relayed values.
- Abu-Lughod, L. (1989) Bedouins, cassettes, and technologies of public culture. Middle East Rep. 19: pp. 7-11
- Appadurai, A. Global ethnoscapes: Notes and queries for a transnational anthropology. In: Fox, R. G. eds. (1991) Recapturing Anthropology: Working in the Present. School of American Research Press, Santa Fe, NM
- Belarbi, A. La representation de la femme a travers les livres scolaires. In: Alhyane, M. eds. (1987) Portraits des femmes. Editions Le fennec, Casablanca, Morocco
- Condon, R. (1987) Inuit youth: Growth and change in the Canadian Arctic. Rutgers University Press, New Brunswick, NJ
- Condon, R. G. (1990) The Rise of Adolescence: Social change and life stage dilemmas in the Central Canadian Arctic. Human Organ. 49: pp. 266-279
- Collings, P., and Condon, R. G. (in press). Blood on the ice: Status, self-esteem, and ritual injury among Inuit hockey players. Human Organization.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M., Larson, R. (1984) Being Adolescent: Conflict and Growth in the Teenage Years. Basic Books, New York
- Davis, D. A. Formal operational thought and the Moroccan adolescent. In: Valsiner, J. eds. (1989) Cultural Context and Child Development: Towards a Culture-Inclusive Developmental Psychology. Hofgrefe and Hubor, Lewiston, N.Y
- Davis, D. A., Davis, S. S. Sexual values in a Moroccan town. In: Lonner, W. J., Malpass, R. S. eds. (1993) Psychology and Culture. Allyn and Bacon, Needham Heights
- Davis, D. A. (in press). Modernizing the sexes: Changing gender relations in a Moroccan town.Ethos.
- Davis, D. A., and Najmi, M. (1994). If the crazy one spoke up. Unpublished manuscript.
- Davis, H. (1989) American magic in a Moroccan town. Middle East Rep. 19: pp. 12-17
- Davis, S. S. (1983). Sexual maturation, cultural constraint, and the concept of the self. Paper presented at the Annual Meetings of the American Anthropological Association in Chicago.
- Davis, S. S. (1984). Sexual politics and change in a Moroccan town. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Middle East Studies Association, San Francisco.
- Davis, S. S., Davis, D. A. (1989) Adolescence in a Moroccan Town: Making Social Sense. Rutgers University Press, New Brunswick, NJ
- Davis, S. S., and Davis, D. A. (in press). Love conquers all? Changing gender relations in a Moroccan town. In Fernea, E. J. (ed.),Childhood in the Muslim World. University of Texas Press, Austin.
- Early, E. Darid Laham: Political satirist as modern storyteller. In: Bowen, D. L., Early, E. eds. (1993) Everyday Life in the Muslim Middle East. Indiana University Press, Bloomington
- Larson, R., Kubey, R., Colletti, J. (1989) Changing channels: Early adolescent media choices and shifting investments in family and friends. Special issue: The changing life space of early adolescence. J. Youth Adolesc. 18: pp. 583-599
- Mernissi, F. (1993) Interview with Terry Gross onFresh Air, 12/15/93. National Public Radio, Washington, DC
- Mitchell, T. (1989) Culture Across Borders. Middle East Rep. 19: pp. 4-6
- Naamane-Guessous, S. (1987) Au-dela de toute pudeur: La sexualite feminine au Maroc.. Soden, Casablanca
- Ossman, S. (1994) Picturing Casablanca: Portraits of Power in a Modern City. University of California Press, Berkeley
- Niveaux de vie des menages 1990–1991: Premiers resultats. Direction de la Statistique, Rabat, Morocco
- Schuyler, P. Entertainment in the Marketplace. In: Bowen, D. L., Early, E. eds. (1993) Everyday Life in the Muslim Middle East. Indiana University Press, Bloomington
- Seckinger, B. (1987). The negotiation of public space and the search for self: Emergent voices of young Moroccan women inL'Opinion des Jeunes. Unpublished ms.
- “The mosque and the satellite”: Media and adolescence in a Moroccan town
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 24, Issue 5 , pp 577-593
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors