The effectiveness of seeking help for coping with personal problems in late adolescence
- D. J. Rickwood
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Older adolescents' help-seeking behavior, in terms of talking to friends, family, or professionals about a personal problem, was assessed at five time points over a 12-month period. A longitudinal causal model, controlling for previous help-seeking behavior, prior level of psychological symptoms, and current life events, was used to assess the effects of seeking help for problems on symptoms of psychological distress 12 weeks later. When these variables were controlled, neither seeking professional nor informal help from friends or family resulted in a significant improvement in subsequent psychological health. The help-seeking behavior of these adolescents did not, therefore, appear to effectively alleviate their psychological distress. It is suggested that focusing on problems by talking about them may intensity rather than decrease the arousal of psychological symptoms. Consequently, seeking help by talking about one's problems may not be an adaptive form of coping for adolescents.
- Albert, N., and Beck, A. T. (1975). Incidence of depression in early adolescence: A preliminary study.J. Youth Adolesc. 4: 301–307.
- Aneshensel, C. S., Frerichs, R. R., and Huba, G. J. (1984). Depression and physical illness: A multiwave, nonrecursive causal model.J. Health Social Behav. 25: 350–371.
- Aneshensel, C. S., and Huba, G. J. (1984). An integrative causal model of the antecedents and consequences of depression over one year. In Greenley, J. R. (ed.),Research in Community and Mental Health (Vol. 4). JAI Press, Greenwich, CT.
- Bentler, P. M. (1985).Theory and Implementation of EQS: A Structural Equations Program. BMDP Statistical Software, Los Angeles, CA.
- Billings, A. G., and Moos, R. H. (1981). The role of coping responses and social resources in attenuating the stress of life events.J. Behav. Med. 4: 139–157.
- Billings, A. G., and Moos, R. H. (1984). Coping, stress, and social resources among adults with unipolar depression.J. Personal. Social Psychol. 46: 877–891.
- Blaine, G. B., and McArthur, C. C. (1971).Emotional Problems of Students. Appleton Century Crofts, New York.
- Brown, G. W., Andrews, B., Bifulco, A., Adler, Z., and Bridge, L. (1986). Social support, self-esteem and depression.Psychol. Med. 16: 813–831.
- Brown, G. W., Bhrolchain, M. N., and Harris, T. (1975). Social class and psychiatric disturbance among women in an urban population.Sociology 9: 225–254.
- Casey, R. J., and Berman, J. S. (1985). The outcome of psychotherapy with children,Psychol. Bull. 98: 388–400.
- Cohen, F., and Lazarus, R. S. (1979). Coping with the stresses of illness. In Stone, G. C., Cohen, F., and Adler, N. E. (eds.).Health Psychology. Jossey Bass, San Francisco.
- D'Arcy, C., and Siddique, C. M. (1984). Psychological distress among Canadian adolescents.Psychol. Med. 14: 615–628.
- Duncan-Jones, P., Fergusson, D. M., Ormel, J., and Horwood, L. J. (1990). A model of stability and change in minor psychiatric symptoms: Results from three longitudinal studies.Psychol. Med, Monograph supplement 18.
- Durlak, J. A. (1979). Comparative effectiveness of paraprofessional and professional helpers.Psychol. Bull. 86: 80–92.
- Eysenck, H. J. (1952). The effects of psychotherapy: An evaluation.J. Consult. Psychol. 16: 319–324.
- Finlay-Jones, R. A., and Burville, P. W. (1977). The prevalence of minor psychiatric morbidity in the community.Psychol. Med. 7: 475–489.
- Finlay-Jones, R. A., and Burville, P. W. (1978). Contrasting demographic patterns of minor psychiatric morbidity in general practice and the community.Psychol. Med. 8: 455–466.
- Friedman, H. L. (1989). The health of adolescents: Beliefs and behavior.Social Sci. Med. 3: 309–315.
- Goldberg, D. P. (1972).The Detection of Psychiatric Illness by Questionnaire. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Hansell, S., and Mechanic, D. (1985). Introspectiveness and adolescent symptom reporting.J. Human Stress. pp. 165–176.
- Headey, B., and Wearing, A. (1988). Coping with the social environment: The relationship between life events, coping strategies and psychological distress.Commun. Health Stud. 7: 444–452.
- Henderson, S., Duncan-Jones, P., Byrne, D. G., Scott, R., and Adcock, S. (1979). Psychiatric disorder in Canberra: A standardised study of prevalence.Acta Psychiat. Scand. 60: 355–374.
- Horwood, L. J., and Fergusson, D. M. (1986). Neuroticism, depression and life events: A structural equation model.Social Psychiat. 21: 63–71.
- Jöreskog, K. G., and Sörbom, D. G. (1983).LISREL V User's Guide. International Educational Services, Chicago.
- Kazdin, A. E. (1988).Child Psychotherapy: Developing and Identifying Effective Treatments. Pergamon Press, New York.
- Kazdin, A. E. (1991). Effectiveness of psychotherapy with children and adolescents.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 59: 785–798.
- Levitt, E. E. (1957). The results of psychotherapy with children: An evaluation.J. Consult. Psychol. 21: 189–196.
- Levitt, E. E. (1963). Psychotherapy with children: A further evaluation.Behav. Res. Ther. 60: 326–329.
- Lieberman, M. A., and Mullan, J. T. (1978). Does help help? The adaptive consequences of obtaining help from professionals and social networks.Am. J. Comm. Psychol. 6: 499–517.
- Lin, N., and Dean, A. (1984). Social support and depression—A panel study.Social Psychiat. 19: 83–91.
- Mattlin, J. A., Wethington, E., and Kessler, R. C. (1990). Situational determinants of coping and coping effectiveness.J. Health Social Behav. 31: 103–122.
- Mayou, R. (1984). Sick role, illness behavior and coping.Br. J. Psychiat. 144: 320–322.
- Mechanic, D. (1979). Development of psychological distress among young adults.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 36: 1233–1239.
- Mechanic, D. (1983). The experience and reporting of common physical complaints.J. Health Social Behav. 21: 146–155.
- Mechanic, D. (1983). Adolescent health and illness behavior: Review of the literature and a new hypothesis for the study of stress.J. Human Stress. 9: 4–13.
- Mechanic, D., and Greenley, J. R. (1976). The prevalence of psychological distress and help seeking in a college student population.Social Psychiat. 11: 1–14.
- Mechanic, D., and Hansell, S. (1987). Introspection and illness behavior.Psychiat. Med. 5: 5–14.
- Miller, P. M., and Ingham, J. G. (1976). Friends, confidants and symptoms.Social Psychiat. 11: 51–58.
- Miller, P. M., Surtees, P. G., Kreitman, N. B., Ingham, J. G., and Sashidaran, S. P. (1985). Maladaptive coping reactions to stress. A study of illness inception.J. Nerv. Mental Dis. 173: 707–716.
- Moos, R. H., and Mitchell, R. E. (1982). Social network resources and adaptation: A conceptual framework. In Wills, T. A. (ed.),Basic Processes in Helping Relationships. Academic Press, New York.
- Newcombe, M. D., Huba, G. J., and Bentler, P. M. (1986). Life change events among adolescents. An empirical consideration of some methodological issues.J. Nerv. Mental Dis. 174: 280–289.
- Offer, D., and Spiro, R. P. (1987). The disturbed adolescent goes to college.J. Am. College Health 35: 209–214.
- O'Neil, M. K., Lancee, W. J., and Freeman, S. J. J. (1984). Help seeking behavior of depressed students.Social Psychiat. 20: 186–190.
- Ostrov, E. (1985). The prevalence and characteristics of quietly disturbed adolescents in the community. In Brainerd, C. J., and Reyna, V. F. (eds.),Developmental Psychology. Elsevier, Holland.
- Pearlin, L. I., and Schooler, C. (1978). The structure of coping.J. Health Social Behav. 19: 2–21.
- Robbins, D. R., and Alessi, N. E. (1985). Depressive symptoms and suicidal behavior in adolescents.Am. J. Psychiat. 142: 588–592.
- Rook, K. S. (1984). The negative side of social interactions: Impact on psychological well-being.J. Personal. Social Behav. 46: 1097–1108.
- Smith, M. L., and Glass, G. V. (1977, September). Meta-analysis of psychotherapy outcome studies.Am. Psychol. pp. 752–760.
- Smith, M. L., Glass, G. V., and Miller, T. I. (1980).The Benefits of Psychotherapy. John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- Tennant, C. (1977). The General Health Questionnaire: A valid index of psychological impairment in Australian populations.Med. J. Austral. 2: 392–394.
- Weisz, J. R., Weiss, B., Alicke, M. D., and Klotz, M. L. (1987). Effectiveness of psychotherapy with children and adolescents: Meta-analytic findings for clinicians.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 55: 542–549.
- Wells, V. E., Deykin, E. Y., and Herman, G. L. (1985). Risk factors for depression in adolescents.Psychiat. Develop. 3: 83–108.
- Wills, T. A. (1982). The study of helping relationships. In Wills, T. A. (ed.),Basic Processes in Helping Relationships. Academic Press, New York,
- Winefield, H. R., Goldney, R. D., Winefield, A. H., and Tiggemann, M. (1989). The General Health Questionnaire: Reliability and validity for Australian youth.Austral. New Zeal. J. Psychiat. 23: 53–58.
- Winokur, G. (1981).Depression: The Facts. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- The effectiveness of seeking help for coping with personal problems in late adolescence
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 24, Issue 6 , pp 685-703
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- D. J. Rickwood (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of Canberra, P.O. Box 1, 2616, Belconnen, ACT, Australia