Incidence of depression in early adolescence: A preliminary study
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The authors wished to determine whether depression was present in an early adolescent nonpatient identified school population. Questionnaires were administered to seventh and eighth grade students in a parochial extended elementary school. The findings indicated that 33.3% of this school population were experiencing moderate to severe depression and 35% of the sample acknowledged current suicidal ideation. A comparison of mean scores showed a trend toward more depressive symptomatology in the eighth grade, possibly indicating a developmental critical period. A correlation of individual scores and teacher ratings suggests that teacher evaluation may have some direct effect on the student's emotional health. The authors make specific suggestions for promoting improved mental health in a school setting.
- Balser, B. H., and Masterson, J. F. (1959). Suicide in adolescents.Am. J. Psychiat. 116: 400–404.
- Beck, A. T., and Beck, R. W. (1972). Screening depressed patients in family practice: A rapid technic.Postgrad. Med. 52: 81–85.
- Beck, A. T., Rial, W. Y., and Rickels, K. (1974). Short form of depression inventory: Cross-validation.Psychol. Rep. 34: 1184–1186.
- Birtchnell, J., and Alarcon, J. (1971). Depression and attempted suicide, a study of 91 cases seen in a casualty department.Brit. J. Psychiat. 118: 289–296.
- Cerny, L., and Cerna, M. (1969). Depressive syndrome in children and adolescents with regard to suicidal tendencies. In Shneidman, E. S., and Swenson, D. D. (eds.),Suicide Among Youth, U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Chevy Chase, Md.
- Hirschowitz, R. G. (1973). Crisis theory: A formulation. Paper presented at the National Conference on Crisis Intervention, McLean Hospital, Boston.
- Jan-Tausch, J. (1963). Suicide of children 1960–1963: New Jersey public school students. Ph.D. dissertation, State of New Jersey Department of Education.
- Schneidman, E. S., and Swenson, D. D. (eds.) (1969).Suicide Among Youth, U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Chevy Chase, Md.
- Schuyler, D. (1972). How to spot the suicidal child.Am. School Board J. 159: 43–44.
- Schwab, J. (1972).Alachua County Epidemiologic Health Study, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Fla.
- Silver, M. A., Bohnert, M., Beck, A. T., and Marcus, D. (1971). Relation of depression of attempted suicide and seriousness of intent.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 25: 573–576.
- Terry, L. (1973). Depression: Research and the administration of the Beck Depression Inventory to adolescents. Unpublished senior thesis, Newton College of the Sacred Heart, Newton, Mass.
- Incidence of depression in early adolescence: A preliminary study
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 4, Issue 4 , pp 301-307
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links